• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission options

Red Cricket

Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 65 dodge coronet with the original (bad) 3 speed automatic. I have read this year is kind of a pain on these trans. Is there a better option to replace it? Looking for a bolt in swap with no computer. I would like to make it a floor shift. with console. Tks for your imput!

Only a pain because you have a factory cable shift setup there. If you use an aftermarket shifter with a cable, then any later (66-on) passenger car trans will go right in, so anything up to the 80's is likely to work. Some people have probably gone to the trouble to put in a later model column and use the linkage as factory. I would stay away from late model lockup units. Curious tho, what you mean by bad?? Can't you just rebuild what you have and stick with the factory cable shift?? Seems just fine to me.

Only a pain because you have a factory cable shift setup there. If you use an aftermarket shifter with a cable, then any later (66-on) passenger car trans will go right in, so anything up to the 80's is likely to work. Some people have probably gone to the trouble to put in a later model column and use the linkage as factory. I would stay away from late model lockup units. Curious tho, what you mean by bad?? Can't you just rebuild what you have and stick with the factory cable shift?? Seems just fine to me.
I was told the trans was bad and he has a "good" one he will give me. Of course it has been sitting for 30 yrs. same as the engine. The seals has to be bad by now from sitting. Just thought a newer trans might be the ticket?? Tks

Ahh, now I see. I would lean towards rebuilding what you have.... betting a fresh rebuilt '65 trans (has mostly the same identical innerds anyway) is gonna do you better than a later model that really needs the same rebuild lol.

Thanks for the info. I plan on getting the old one out after I get the engine running. I plan on getting the trans the guy said comes with the car this weekend. Dont know if it is the same. He said it was "Good".....after 32 yrs not running, it is in a dry barn. It would have to need new seals I would think??? at LEAST

A later model 727 is better. Much better parts availability. But you do have to use an aftermarket shifter. The old '65 trans that's been sitting may or may not be in good shape. Impossible to tell without taking it apart. When I 1st bought my '65 Coronet, switched from 4 spd to '65 727 that a buddy had & another buddy had the 65 floor shifter. Later switched to the newer style & the slip yoke driveshaft.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back