• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission problem

BeepBeepRR

Local time
12:54 PM
Reaction score
So yesterday I was adjusting the timing and taking it for a run. Well when i went to put it into reverse i heard a Tink sound and then it felt as if the brakes were hung. They were not apparently, after I took it around the block and came back all seemed well. I get home from the doctors office today and happen to look under the car and there is a puddle of trans fluid. I assume the tink was something letting go in the transmission. It had a tiny leak around the pan before and would drop an occasional drip or ten. But I would say the puddle is atleast a foot in diameter.

Question is i guess, What could let go and cause a leak like that? It seems to be just behind the pan. But higher up. I had surgery today so I can't get under the car to verify where its leaking from. I guess in a few days I can.

Last edited:
There is a tab on the tail housing that hold in a pin for the rear band and I've seen them leak from there. It's been a while so I don't remember if there is an o ring on the pin or what seals it. But I remember sealing the end with silicone for added insurance against a leak when I built them. As far as the other problem you should test drive it again and check if you have all gears including manual 1st and 2nd. That sound could have been something coming loose and hitting the pan or a u joint will make that sound too but won't cause your issue. Hope you figure it out.

Hey thanks. I was gonna go out and mess around with it later today. There are only 2 more unknowns about the car one was the transmission and the other is the engine. I have driven it at highway speeds and it ran and shifted fine prior to this. So if it ends up being a transmission going bad I may look at pulling the engine and transmission. I need to figure out some stuff on the engine any how. I also want to repaint it. I guess this would be a good catalyst to get me going in that direction. lol, Anyone ever used a Jegs branded 727? Its 995.00 and a 224.00 torque converter.
I want to do new gaskets on the engine as well as repaint it. And may go ahead and spray the engine compartment red like the car is. The previous owner painted the engine bay black. Now would be a good time to correct that too.

Last edited:
Just ordered a new transmission, torque converter and engine gasket set. Looks like I'm gutting the car and fixing the leaks and replacing the transmission. With the engine out I can also replace the steering box which I got today with relative ease. So I guess when it rains you go ahead and get an umbrella and hunker down and fix it all and be done with it. No sense half assing it. And I might as well clean and paint the engine bay while its out. So its a good thing.

Auto Transport Service
Back