• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission question

Tintoy35

Local time
6:18 AM
Reaction score
Can I replace the front seal without removing a header? 1964 Belvedere with a 451 ci. In stock location 727 trans thanks

I suppose you could IF you can drop the transmission out with the header in place.
Mike

I couldn't move the trans back without loosening at least one header. The headers were just too tight to the bell housing.

You need to remove the trans with the torque converter still in the trans. Remove the converter, then replace the seal, then reinstall the converter making sure the pump dogs are engaged. Doing this with the car on jack stands will be tight but not impossible.

Like KK says, maybe IF you loosen one up you might get lucky.

Don't leave convertor the engine can/will damage front pump bushing. KK has it right.

on my 62 with the old hooker race headers the trans will come out, on the 64 with TTI headers I have to take drivers side off to get trans out

I couldn't move the trans back without loosening at least one header. The headers were just too tight to the bell housing.

You need to remove the trans with the torque converter still in the trans. Remove the converter, then replace the seal, then reinstall the converter making sure the pump dogs are engaged. Doing this with the car on jack stands will be tight but not impossible.
Thanks everyone. I have done this before, just not on this car. I have 4 post drive on and trany jack. The headers are Tti 2 inch step. Just thought I would ask and see if anybody had tried. Thanks again

20190219_121942.jpg

with my hooker i had to remove 1 header with my tti headers i can drop trans with out touching the headers.

with my hooker i had to remove 1 header with my tti headers i can drop trans with out touching the headers.
Thanks I'm going to try to drop it out without loosening the header. The car came with Mopar stage 6 heads so the bolts go into the water jacket (Not my choice for heads) but seem to work ok for this combo.

Last edited:
Thanks I'm going to try to drop it out without loosening the header. The car came with Mopar stage 6 heads so the bolts go into the water jacket (Not my choice for heads) but seem to work OK for this combo.
great point i also run the stage 6 mopar i think your good . also get a starter for a magnum 360 and install it it will come out with the header in . did it a long time ago so dont remember out the top or bottom. rout your wiring to the rear of the engine block use a wire loom on trans bolt then up and across firewall.

great point i also run the stage 6 mopar i think your good . also get a starter for a magnum 360 and install it it will come out with the header in . did it a long time ago so dont remember out the top or bottom. rout your wiring to the rear of the engine block use a wire loom on trans bolt then up and across firewall.
Thanks I have already replaced it twice with rebuilt mini starters. First one lasted about 2 months . Had to loosen the header to remove and replace both times.

TT 35, I just took mine out, tti 2" loosened the pass side and it came right out, left the driver side tight. waiting for john to call some time in the next few days, the only difference is mine has a 67 k-member in it. (sets the motor back 2") Dave.

Thanks I have already replaced it twice with rebuilt mini starters. First one lasted about 2 months . Had to loosen the header to remove and replace both times.
have made a shield to go between the starter and the header ?

Auto Transport Service
Back