• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission shafts

RSZ28

Local time
9:13 AM
Reaction score
I have an extra 1965 727 cable shift transmission for my '65 Belvedere, and a '74 727 core. If I rebuild the '65 727, can the '74 input and output shafts be installed to upgrade the shafts of the '65? Thanks

Input shaft, rear clutch drum, front pump and front clutch drum yes. Then you need the seal rings and clutch piston seals for 71 and up for those items, but also the older parts for the rear of the trans.

Output shaft is a big no!

Everything is different at the rear. Main Case, output shaft, extension housing, rear pump, park cable, speedo gear and housing, etc, etc. Nothing interchanges other than the output seal for the slip yoke.

Last edited:
Output shaft is a big no!

I was told the same thing as you said regarding the input side of the trans. My question is; is there something undesireable about the output shaft of the '65?? I thought strength and spline count was the same as everything later. Not the case?
Lefty71

'65 is one year only due to the rear pump provisions.

'65 is one year only due to the rear pump provisions.

Right, the last year for rear pump, and the only year for a splined shaft, with a rear pump. But I thought you can defeat/disable without changing the shaft?? and why would you want to anyway?? Just trying to figure out why he would bother to mess with the rear. The front is more obvious, because the modern spline opens up a multitude of choices in converters. But even that, there are places that can make you a converter for the early input shaft too, even cheaper if you have a core. Pretty sure both Coan and A&A have on-the shelf offerings without tearing down his trans.

The reason for the rear shaft is because the extra '65 cable shift transmission has the yoke that attaches to the rear spline not a slip yoke. That yoke uses Ujoints.

The reason for the rear shaft is because the extra '65 cable shift transmission has the yoke that attaches to the rear spline not a slip yoke. That yoke uses Ujoints.

I feel I'm the only one who's confused here! I have a '64 727 here, it has the bolt on rag joint that you just described, right?? I have 3 '65 only units, and they all have slip joints yokes like every other post '65 passenger car trans I've seen. That's why I keep asking, what's different in the tailshaft!?

I had'nt noticed you were the OP. Are you sure thats a '65 trans??

There was an exception to the 727 slip yoke in '65....the Imperial, it had a constant velocity u-joint.

There is nothing wrong with the stock splined 65 output shaft. I have over 600 passes on mine. Car runs 9.00 or 9.25 slowed to A/FX. 60 fts 1.25-1.30 depending on tune up. Race weight is 3350 lbs. The late output shaft will not fit any of the push button tail housings. If your only 65 is an Imperial unit, you would need a standard 65 tail housing and output shaft. Small block 65 727 parts are the same. The late input shaft, pump, and drum is a good swap allowing easily available converters.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back