• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission swap.....what is possible on a III Gen Hemi engine ?

acii

Local time
10:28 PM
Reaction score
Hy all...

i am planning to do a 3Gen Hemi swap into my 70 Charger... according to the fact that i am located in Germany, i am also looking for a transmission swap as well.

That means, i am looking for some adapter plates to install for example a BMW transmission on the Hemi Engine. Like it is possible with an Chevy LS1 engine..

I know the LS1 swaps a lot more popular and so a lot more stuff is available... but maybe some adapter plates are also on the market for the III Gen Hemi :)

Finally i want to install a manual transmission which is easily available on the european market :)

Thx for ur suppport

CU
Achim

Hy all...

i am planning to do a 3Gen Hemi swap into my 70 Charger... according to the fact that i am located in Germany, i am also looking for a transmission swap as well.

That means, i am looking for some adapter plates to install for example a BMW transmission on the Hemi Engine. Like it is possible with an Chevy LS1 engine..

I know the LS1 swaps a lot more popular and so a lot more stuff is available... but maybe some adapter plates are also on the market for the III Gen Hemi :)

Finally i want to install a manual transmission which is easily available on the european market :)

Thx for ur suppport

CU
Achim
The 3gen Hemi has the same bolt pattern as a small block mopar.

To adapt another Mopar transmission just requires an adapter/spacer - special flexplate between the crank flange and the torque-convertor. Or special flywheel. No exotic adapter on the retail market yet. Not to say that someone in Europe won't come up with one. But why go wacky with a BMW trans when they came with a Mercedes "NAG 1" trans to begin with. Plenty of US trans conversions available, just not European for obvious reasons. A very small market.

The nv 3500 from a Dakota is a popular choice in this swaps, check the gen 3 section, a few guys done this with very good results.

The hemi engine will destroy the BMW German built hydramatic, you would also have to add the electronics to it to make it work. That is a poorly built trans if your after overdrive have a mopar one built, take a flite and add a gearvendors unit or nag and the new ZF based 8spd have been adapted.

I don’t condone this, but, a 4l60e will bolt up. You’ll need to take the bell housing off and use one for a small block Mopar. That’ll give a good trans with od.

Hy
thanks for ur feedback....but i definitly want to go with manual trans this time..

THe NV3500 seems to be pretty week ... not sure about that.

Don´t agree that a HEMI will destroy the BMW trans ... you need to buy the right one of a 530d !!! pretty stron and pretty cheap ..at least here in Germany :)

CU
Achim

Sorry I didn't catch that you only wanted a manual trans. Looks like we people on the other side of the pond so to speak will have little info on European based transmissions as we don't know what will be common in Germany, but you do. Happy hunting.

Auto Transport Service
Back