• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission

tom jaffeux

Local time
6:54 AM
Reaction score
Have a question. Finishing up on my restoration on my 68 Plymouth Satellite. I started it about 5 years ago, the person I got the car from told me the transmission was rebuilt a year before I got the car and I have receipts to prove it. My question is should I rebuild it again or just leave like it is? It did shift good when I first bought it. What do you think? Thanks Tom

No, should be good to go.
They don't go bad just sitting.

Have a question. Finishing up on my restoration on my 68 Plymouth Satellite. I started it about 5 years ago, the person I got the car from told me the transmission was rebuilt a year before I got the car and I have receipts to prove it. My question is should I rebuild it again or just leave like it is? It did shift good when I first bought it. What do you think? Thanks Tom

How many miles on the trans? Sounds like very little.

Drop the pan, check and replace the filter and fluid. Do a quick band adjustment and drive it till it explodes. No reason to fix what aint broke.

I've had them sit longer that that (5) so just run it

How many miles on the trans? Sounds like very little.

Drop the pan, check and replace the filter and fluid. Do a quick band adjustment and drive it till it explodes. No reason to fix what aint broke.
I agree. A visual inspection will show alot. It's VERY tough to crunch a trans and not see it? Usual they look like a small bomb went off. Converter could be a different story?

I’ve been reading back issues of Mopar Action (like back to the beginning) and came across a tech tip on band adjustments that I didn’t recall seeing earlier.

Basically, if you have a trans that you don’t know the history of, loosen up the lock nuts and snug the adjusters in. Gradually loosen one adjuster and have a friend try to turn the driveshaft by hand in one direction (not in park). When you can turn it with moderate to heavy drag, back the adjuster off another half turn and lock it down. Repeat in the opposite direction for the other adjuster and that’s it.

Anybody ever try this method? Makes sense, esp when you know it’s been rebuilt/modified.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great information and advice. Go to leave the transmission like it is change the filter and adjust the bands replace the torque converter and shift kit in the valve body. Any good recommendation on a good kit for the valve body

I’ve been reading back issues of Mopar Action (like back to the beginning) and came across a tech tip on band adjustments that I didn’t recall seeing earlier.

Basically, if you have a trans that you don’t know the history of, loosen up the lock nuts and snug the adjusters in. Gradually loosen one adjuster and have a friend try to turn the driveshaft by hand in one direction (not in park). When you can turn it with moderate to heavy drag, back the adjuster off another half turn and lock it down. Repeat in the opposite direction for the other adjuster and that’s it.

Anybody ever try this method? Makes sense, esp when you know it’s been rebuilt/modified.
Very similar to the procedure Transgo used to recommend years ago. I did use it.
Mike

Mike did you use the TF-1 or TF-2 kit ?
Thanks Tom

TF-2 includes the TF-1 kit. Not sure if I would even use a kit these days, there are some tricks you can do with a stock valve body - servos, governor, apply lever, throw away the accumulator spring, etc. Once you drill, you can’t go back. I’d add part throttle kickdown if you don’t already have it.

Yup, I always install the TF-2 kit. You can choose the type of shift you desire.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back