• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Treating inside of tank

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:41 AM
Reaction score
While I have my tank out waiting for parts, I noticed that there is some very slight little rust spots in the upper portionof the inside. Is there anything that can be done (POR-15 ?) that might address the issue ?
It is not bad at all, but since the tank is out I would like to cover the bases.
Thanks

I was always afraid of that **** eventually peeling and causing more grief then the original problem. They say its impervious to gasoline, but who knows in 8-10 years when the **** gives and starts clogging the sock and ****. I would rather super slight suface rust then a peeling mess inside the tank. Call me a pessimist, but I have seen alot of products work well in the first few years, then **** the bed and cause more harm then the original problem. Maybe its just me haha!

I was always afraid of that **** eventually peeling and causing more grief then the original problem. They say its impervious to gasoline, but who knows in 8-10 years when the **** gives and starts clogging the sock and ****. I would rather super slight suface rust then a peeling mess inside the tank. Call me a pessimist, but I have seen alot of products work well in the first few years, then **** the bed and cause more harm then the original problem. Maybe its just me haha!
Oh, I agree. Always been a fan of simply replacing the dang thing, since repops are cheap and plentiful....
but SAVE THE SENDING UNIT if it's functional and useable at all - reproduction sending units are absolute JUNK!

The sending unit is shot beyond any kind of repair or refurbishment.

I have used Bill Hirsch gas tank sealer for years with no issues. It has been around longer than POR15. I sealed my Charger tank with it 39 years ago. That was long before you could buy re-popped tanks.

Replaced my factory original tank 10 years ago. Could not believe how much crap was in the bottom of it. Sender was toast and equally crapped up. Guess you can do treatments but why worry ? New standard tank is not all that expensive and as I measure things at this point in my life, I'll be long gone by the time there will be any kind of tank problem.

Mine would probably be good for at least 10 years in its current condition. The one in my Porsche was considerably worse and lasted 16 years.
I just figured that while I had it out, that now would be a good time to do it...if I do anything at all.

Just my opinion, if theres ever any doubt about your fuel tank just replace it. The peace of mind would offset the costs for me, and it would be one less component to worry about in your costly build. Good luck...

I would replace it if it's stock. I cut and welded a sump into mine so I bead blasted the inside and after welding it back together I coated it with Damon Red-Kote. The stuff works excellent if the tank is prepared and the material is applied properly. Methanol does cause it to tint the fuel. If you use it follow the instructions exactly or you can expect it to fail.

I did a more thorough inspection of the tank yesterday after it was all dried out. It is actually in much better condition than I thought. Ya gotta love a borescope. It is not the original tank, but is an original factory tank. The only issue I had was removing about a cup and a half of fine New Mexico sand.

Thanks for all the replies !

I used POR 15 on a c body Chrysler S/W - one of the best products I have used out of a can. It saved a rare fuel tank and after 8 years its still as good as the day it went in. I did follow the instructions as I had a similar feeling to you.
but
It works - I would recommend it to anyone subject to you following the process.
Cheers Brett

FWIW, 12 years ago I took a radiator to a repair shop and found he epoxy sealed gas tanks too. I cannot remember what he charged, but was not expensive. It is still on the car to this day. Considering the work of removing and reinstalling, think I would buy a new one though. Of course, I have not priced them so do not know how expensive they are.

Auto Transport Service
Back