• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tremec 5 speed slips

jddodge

Local time
12:23 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys.
My 68 charger wich has a tremec 5 speed slips in higher RPM worst in 3th gear
No problem when i hit the gas in 1st
Only when im driving in 3th 4th and than put it to the floor it starting to slip..
Any idea what problem this can be?
J.D.

Seeing how a manual transmissions internals are all splines and gears things don't slip, they break, has to be the clutch. In first gear you have gear ratio in your favor, you could look at it as the engine having more leverage on moving the car, as you grab another gear the torque needed to move the car increases meaning more likelyhood of clutch slippage.

Ok so it needs a new clutch..
Dont know yet whats i it now. I bought the car how it is now couple years ago.
Any recomendations wich brand is best to put in it?
Thanks.
J.D.

I like McLeod but the important thing is getting the right one for your output.. go even bigger if you like to abuse it. Best would be the dual friction clutches but $$$$ and not necessary for a close to stock engine.

I've had great success with the Centerforce dual friction. Its reasonably priced. Made over100 drag strip passes with slicks. It has never shuddered, slipped.
Doug

Also do you have a least 1" of free pedal play at the top?

Also do you have a least 1" of free pedal play at the top?
either way if it's been slipping it probably needs to come apart anyway,but make sure the hyd. is working right before you burn up a new one!

either way if it's been slipping it probably needs to come apart anyway,but make sure the hyd. is working right before you burn up a new one!
Not always.....just depends on how long it's been slipping. Had one like that once and adjusted it and got another 2+ years out of it. It didn't have a big block in front of it but it got plenty of abuse.....caught it early.

Thanks guys.
Yes it has play at the top. It also dont slips in 1st gear.
It has a 500 wedge crate motor in it with a bigger cam, i dont know the specs but its fast!
I bought it like it is now and drove it for a few years but now its starting to slip.
By the way i like the 5 speed its great on the highway.
I do rather spend a bit more on a good clutch than take it apart again.
I heared about the MCloud but not much brands more so tought i ask here..
Sorry for my spelling but im from the Netherlands.
Thanks and have a great weekend!
J.D.

The times I have had clutches go, the symptoms have appeared first in the upper gears. I agree that catching it soon can make a difference, but I also know that many times it just means it needs to be replaced. I wouldn't push it too far, because in some cases you can damage the fly wheel, I had one fail and it left grooves in the fly wheel.

Thanks guys.
Yes it has play at the top. It also dont slips in 1st gear.
It has a 500 wedge crate motor in it with a bigger cam, i dont know the specs but its fast!
I bought it like it is now and drove it for a few years but now its starting to slip.
By the way i like the 5 speed its great on the highway.
I do rather spend a bit more on a good clutch than take it apart again.
I heared about the MCloud but not much brands more so tought i ask here..
Sorry for my spelling but im from the Netherlands.
Thanks and have a great weekend!
J.D.
Yup....the higher gears tend to put more load on the clutch so one that's not healthy will have a tendency to grab well in the lower gears and slip in the upper gears. If you have play at the top it sounds like your clutch is not long for this world and like Jcharger said, don't keep pushing it hard and if you keep on driving it, pay closer attention to the tach because it'll tell you when it's slipping when you can't notice it......ie, a slight increase in RPM in high gear and if it's doing that at cruise mode, need to fix it right now.

My McLeod pressure plate has 2,900 pounds of clamping pressure. Diaphragm style. A little rough on my old knee, but it doesn't slip behind my 440+6bbl

Im gonna order a new clutch, gonna be a Mcloud dual force.
Thanks for your answers and have a happy easter!.
J.D.

Auto Transport Service
Back