• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tremec Magnum 6 speed conversion

magrima

Local time
9:39 AM
Reaction score
Got a 1969 charger with the 727 three speed and the console. 727 is pretty much toast at this point and I've been planning on putting Tremec's Magnum 6 speed in it for awhile. Was hoping to get one more year out of the 727 before doing so but it is what it is. I have been told for awhile now that SST is the best place to go for the full conversion kit and it does seem that they have everything needed for the auto to manual conversion. Only thing I'm not loving is the $7300 quote they gave me for the package. Has anyone sourced everything individually and if so did it save you significantly? Are there any other companies out there that are comparable to SST's full kits that don't cost as much? On a side note, two years ago this same exact kit was quoted at $5250. Can't imagine what caused such a price increase. I figure I can cut some cost off the quote as they quoted me for hydraulic clutch and I am going to go mechanical, but that is most likely only going to shave off a hundred or so.

That sounds ridiculous!!

American Powertrain is one of the biggest provider's out there, having heard a few stories about them I'd suggest going threw Summit. Summit is an American Powertrain distributor but going threw them you get their support which is top notch.

I installed a T56 in mine but it was all sourced individually using a Viper trans so I'm not much help on pricing.

That sounds ridiculous!!

American Powertrain is one of the biggest provider's out there, having heard a few stories about them I'd suggest going threw Summit. Summit is an American Powertrain distributor but going threw them you get their support which is top notch.

I installed a T56 in mine but it was all sourced individually using a Viper trans so I'm not much help on pricing.
I've never dealt with summit before, didn't know they were an AP distributor either. Thanks for the info. How do you like the T56?

I've never dealt with summit before, didn't know they were an AP distributor either. Thanks for the info. How do you like the T56?
Best investment I've made on the Charger, went from putting 2,000 miles a year on it to putting 4,000 plus on it. Getting right around 19 mpg with a BB is also awesome plus the lower rpms makes long trips at 70mph relaxing and worry free. Trust me if you do everything right it will transform the way you use and drive the car. Downside to mine being a Viper trans is the .5 6th gear..... 1,800 rpm @ 80 mph is ridiculous!

In the process of installing a T56 kit from SST into a 72 Charger auto car. Went with the close ratio .63 final and the hydraulic clutch. The kit is very complete. Comes with everything from the back of the engine to the diff. You could save a few bucks sourcing everything separate but not enough to make it worthwhile. If I remember correctly the hydraulic clutch kit was $600. The biggest cost savings would come from finding a used trans. But then your getting a used trans with whatever shifter setup it comes with. My shifter lined up dead on with the factory location. Up to you but I've learned that all the little things add up and if you want it to work properly, sometimes you just have to pay the piper.
When I was shopping I got prices from every available source and found SST the highest but also the best value when you consider what's included plus the lead time was a week or 2, Most of the others were up to 6 months.

Got a 1969 charger with the 727 three speed and the console. 727 is pretty much toast at this point and I've been planning on putting Tremec's Magnum 6 speed in it for awhile. Was hoping to get one more year out of the 727 before doing so but it is what it is. I have been told for awhile now that SST is the best place to go for the full conversion kit and it does seem that they have everything needed for the auto to manual conversion. Only thing I'm not loving is the $7300 quote they gave me for the package. Has anyone sourced everything individually and if so did it save you significantly? Are there any other companies out there that are comparable to SST's full kits that don't cost as much? On a side note, two years ago this same exact kit was quoted at $5250. Can't imagine what caused such a price increase. I figure I can cut some cost off the quote as they quoted me for hydraulic clutch and I am going to go mechanical, but that is most likely only going to shave off a hundred or so.

Don't think you can go mechanical with a t56? After comparing whats included I went with SST may have been a little high as stated but better than the other options and complete. The quote you got 2 years ago was probably not as complete as it is now. They just started selling the complete kit less than a year ago.

I thought that the difference between the Tremec 5 and the Tremec 6 was the huge hole needed for the 6 speed. TKO 5 just a minor cut.

In the process of installing a T56 kit from SST into a 72 Charger auto car. Went with the close ratio .63 final and the hydraulic clutch. The kit is very complete. Comes with everything from the back of the engine to the diff. You could save a few bucks sourcing everything separate but not enough to make it worthwhile. If I remember correctly the hydraulic clutch kit was $600. The biggest cost savings would come from finding a used trans. But then your getting a used trans with whatever shifter setup it comes with. My shifter lined up dead on with the factory location. Up to you but I've learned that all the little things add up and if you want it to work properly, sometimes you just have to pay the piper.
When I was shopping I got prices from every available source and found SST the highest but also the best value when you consider what's included plus the lead time was a week or 2, Most of the others were up to 6 months.
Saving over $3,000 is something I'd hardly call not worthwhile but it involves having the tools and ability to make the parts. Can't remember the exact cost but I had less than $3,000 in mine but again I'd rather have the .63 final too. At their price I could have never justified doing it plus that takes all of the fun out of it lol.

Saving over $3,000 is something I'd hardly call not worthwhile but it involves having the tools and ability to make the parts. Can't remember the exact cost but I had less than $3,000 in mine but again I'd rather have the .63 final too. At their price I could have never justified doing it plus that takes all of the fun out of it lol.

If your goal is simply to install a 6 speed for the lowest possible cost, for sure you could "do it" for less. But to compare the kit they offer to a budget home job using used parts of unknown history is deceiving. What I was saying was I compared all the available kits and found theirs to be the most complete. SSTs kit includes everything needed, including a new custom driveshaft, and it's all new, quality stuff. No junk.
Not sure which parts you are making. I have a lathe, mill, welders etc and the ability to use them but I can't make a trans, flywheel, clutch, bell housing. Could have built the trans mount.
Up here shipping becomes a major concern and I found that shipping cost to source everything from different places offset the savings of finding used parts.
If he wants to build his own kit like you have done by all means go for it.

That sounds ridiculous!!

I've got a 1969 charger 3 speed no console and am considering putting a viper t56 in it. Can you share any of the major problems you had, or if you would recommend something different? any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated, thanks - Alex

I've got a 1969 charger 3 speed no console and am considering putting a viper t56 in it. Can you share any of the major problems you had, or if you would recommend something different? any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated, thanks - Alex
No problem, the biggest issue with the Viper T56 is the gearing with 6th being .5 (literally cuts cruising rpm's in half). You cannot run a motor with a hot cam (something with an RPM range lower than 1,800) and expect to use 6th ever. My motor has a cam with an RPM range of 1,800-5,800 and it's pretty happy seeing how 70-80 mph puts it within that range. The other issue is no speedometer hookup meaning you'll need a GPS operated speedometer which is the ******* if you can give up the OEM speedo. Buying a magnum from Summit will give you options on gearing and a speedo hookup so that's really the 2 biggest differences.

I love mine, I doubled the miles I put on it just because it cruises effortlessly on the freeway and gets 19 mpg with a 456 stroker. It cracks me up after car shows blowing by guys with their motors screaming at 70 mph and I'm doing 80 mph at 1,800 lol.

You can look into my thread about dealing with American Powertrain . . . if you've got 18 months to wait on not getting what you're promised . . . go for it ! ! !

Happy with the SST TKO 5. Priced right, and real responsive owner. 7 k miles and no issues. Purchase just the trans. No wait.

Auto Transport Service
Back