• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tremec TKO 600 hard shifting

Ralph Cali

Local time
3:33 PM
Reaction score
I have a Tremec TKO 600 in my car and its hard to shift from 1st to 2nd and also grinds into reverse. I bought the kit from Keisler for my 73 B body back in 2009 and it only has about 3,500 miles on it. I am running a McLeod dual disc clutch.
Someone told me that the dual disc maybe the issue, the second disc not fully disengaging.
Any Advice would be helpful.

Thanks Ralph

Sounds like you may have an issue with the clutch not fully disengaging, try having someone push the clutch in while in gear and see if you can push it? The TKOs aren't known for easy shifting either.

I have a Tremec TKO 600 in my car and its hard to shift from 1st to 2nd and also grinds into reverse. I bought the kit from Keisler for my 73 B body back in 2009 and it only has about 3,500 miles on it. I am running a McLeod dual disc clutch.
Someone told me that the dual disc maybe the issue, the second disc not fully disengaging.
Any Advice would be helpful.

Thanks Ralph

i have the same clutch, same transmission, bought it from the same place, same car, and get ready for it....... The same problem!

I bought the trans back in 2008. I know you need to put a couple thousand miles or 1200 shifts on the McLeod twin disc clutch before they're broke in and "settled". I have only 200 or so miles on mine and it's already getting better but I don't expect the reverse grind to ever go away completely. I just push it up into 5th a lil then it goes into reverse with no grinding but I will be getting a single disc next time.

those tremecs are not sweet shifting trannies. this is common.

My TKO has the high rpm 2-3 shift balk. 1-2 is ok. For reverse, just drop it into 2nd or 3rd prior and it will go right in. No reason to grind it in. No need to double clutch, just move the stick to any gear and it should drop in. Console car?

My TKO has the high rpm 2-3 shift balk. 1-2 is ok. For reverse, just drop it into 2nd or 3rd prior and it will go right in. No reason to grind it in. No need to double clutch, just move the stick to any gear and it should drop in. Console car?

2-3 balk?

Jam. 2-3 will not go @ high rpm. Gate issues. First denied, the recognized by Keisler later. Too bad mine is too "early of a version for a fix. Normal driving is fine.

Jam. 2-3 will not go @ high rpm. Gate issues. First denied, the recognized by Keisler later. Too bad mine is too "early of a version for a fix. Normal driving is fine.

How early a version you got? What is their "fix"?

2008. No fix per Keisler (before going out of business).

yeah, I bought mine from keister in 08 too. So far I've been able to jam into 3rd @7000rpm but it takes a good aim and the trans isn't liking it. I spoke with Liberty about doing the upgrade..... $350 for the kit..... $800 if they do it for you. I'd like to wait until I'm taking the trans out for other reasons before doing it but if I keep drop kickin into 3rd the way I have been, that will come sooner than later

yeah, I bought mine from keister in 08 too. So far I've been able to jam into 3rd @7000rpm but it takes a good aim and the trans isn't liking it. I spoke with Liberty about doing the upgrade..... $350 for the kit..... $800 if they do it for you. I'd like to wait until I'm taking the trans out for other reasons before doing it but if I keep drop kickin into 3rd the way I have been, that will come sooner than later
Good aim being STRAIGHT up from second like aiming for 1st? I have gotten lucky maybe twice and found it. Usually miss it when drag racing.

Good aim being STRAIGHT up from second like aiming for 1st? I have gotten lucky maybe twice and found it. Usually miss it when drag racing.

thats pretty much how it is..... It was really bad when I first got it on the road. But now than I've got a couple hundred miles on it, it's getting better. I need to see if I can get more disengagement stroke out on the hydraulic throwout to keep the clutch from dragging.

Got at least 40k miles on mine.

Man do I feel for you guys, just isn't right that they pass these off as a performance tranny knowing they have these issues.

Man do I feel for you guys, just isn't right that they pass these off as a performance tranny knowing they have these issues.

Yeah, Bruce Jenner is a better performing tranny than these things.

I went too tall on the OD too. 5th gear is pretty much worthless unless you're goin 75-80.

those things are "touring" transmissions, not drag racers. i have a friend who put one in a gtx a few years ago. think he wants a 833 back in the car. another friend has one in a corvette. we went to test and tune in it a couple of weeks ago; real comedy. and the ,64 overdrive, theres another issue. why people won't buy the ,82 is beyond me. seriously though, i think folks buy them thru honest ignorance of not understanding gear ratios. does the term "crash box" ring a bell,...?

Agreed. 2150 @ 72 mph on the highway w/3:54 Dana gives high teen mpg's and effortless touring. The 2-3 glitch was lied about by Shafi Keisler. Did you see the video of him explaining the clutch failures on the Hemi Charger? Shame on him. Bullshit. They sent me the wrong clutch, said "sorry", we grabbed the wrong one off the shelf. And, the Pilot Bearing was on"back order. Well, fluck me.

Auto Transport Service
Back