• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trick flow heads valve train

Rob Vaughn

Local time
9:36 AM
Reaction score
Ok I got a bunch of questions about the 240 trick flow heads. First off I was told by the tech guys at trick flow that that the heads and intake would interchange without after market valvetrain. Wrong ! Just bolted up a set the pushrods are 1/2 inch short the rocker arm shaft bolts are different and the adjustable crane rockers I was gonna use rub the shaft towers. Thier intake won't work with my air box on my 69 Coronet R/T because its to high. So can anyone tell me who has used these heads in this type of application what I need since the people selling them dont . Obviously the rocker assembly is different. I want to use the cam I have. Do i have to take the airbox off my hood to run thier intake because it sure looks like it. Surely somebody out there has ran into this stuff also.
Resized_20190302_124214.jpeg

I've got some land for sale in Florida you might be interested in.

It says in the PDF that longer pushrods may be required.

Additional Parts Required These components are required to complete the installation of your new cylinder heads. Please refer to the Recommended Components chart on the Technical Specifications sheet for specific part numbers.  Head gaskets
 Intake gaskets
 Exhaust gaskets
 Valley Plate kit (C01)
 Head bolts
 Intake bolts
 Exhaust bolts
 Moly lube
 Spark plugs
 RTV sealer
 Pushrods (Longer than stock may be required)
 Rocker arms
 Rocker arms stud kit/bolts
 Cylinder head locating dowels
 Thread locker
 Thread sealer

https://static.trickflow.com/global/images/instructions/tfs-6161t784-c00.pdf

Longer pushrods if changing the rocker arm ratio. That's what I was told by thier tech that these would interchange with stock components which is not true

Just wanna know what I would need not what I might need surely somebody has went through this

1st off, techlines are notoriously staffed by morons.
2nd, you are not attempting to use totally stock components.
3rd, Dad told me I needed to be smarter than my cylinder heads.
4th, 57 years ago Dad placed a sticker on the steering wheel of our Bonneville car, it read, "If at first you don't succeed, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!" So........that is what I did, before I installed the first set of Trick Flow heads.

Yes, I am a smart-***. I got that way when I passed 70 years.

I have Crane 1.6 rockers and had to get custom pushrods from Manton. Did the fitup and lined it all up and engine ran well

It amazes me how people at trick flow can sell a product and know less than i do about thier heads summit gave me the same answers

1st off, techlines are notoriously staffed by morons.
2nd, you are not attempting to use totally stock components.
3rd, Dad told me I needed to be smarter than my cylinder heads.
4th, 57 years ago Dad placed a sticker on the steering wheel of our Bonneville car, it read, "If at first you don't succeed, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!" So........that is what I did, before I installed the first set of Trick Flow heads.

Yes, I am a smart-***. I got that way when I passed 70 years.
WRONG

Screenshot_20190311-072847_Samsung Internet.jpg

I have Crane 1.6 rockers and had to get custom pushrods from Manton. Did the fitup and lined it all up and engine ran well
What did your pushrod length end up?

Also see you have to use a stud kit too

The key word in the trick flow literature is “style”. :thumbsup:
Says the heads work with factory “style” hardware, which is accurate.
There is no way trick flow can know what size pushrods you’ll end up needing.

Thanks for the response but Well ya I understand the pushrod length that's going to vary with lifter type. But I actually called them and told them what I had to see if it would work just because of what you just read. My old style rollers work on 906 heads but not trick flow because of the pedestal mounts are way different , they are the same style lol I was even told stock rockers would work . I was just pretty frustrated over the weekend because as soon I started I was done and thought I could get good response here without waiting to talk to trick flow on Monday

I used their heads but, I bought all new components per Jim's recommendations. If you want good answers you need to ask a builder who has put multiple sets on. Sorry for your stress. I used a 6 pack intake and I'm pretty sure it's .5-1.0 taller. I'm sure my intake is much shorter than yours.

Thanks for the response but Well ya I understand the pushrod length that's going to vary with lifter type. But I actually called them and told them what I had to see if it would work just because of what you just read. My old style rollers work on 906 heads but not trick flow because of the pedestal mounts are way different , they are the same style lol I was even told stock rockers would work . I was just pretty frustrated over the weekend because as soon I started I was done and thought I could get good response here without waiting to talk to trick flow on Monday

I know where you are coming from but all of this was hashed out 2 years ago when the heads first came out so you aren't going to get much sympathy on here. It was a learning curve for everyone as we figured out that longer head bolts were required, that the rocker shaft studs were different, the shaft pedestals were wider, etc. But that was two years ago man.

I know where you are coming from but all of this was hashed out 2 years ago when the heads first came out so you aren't going to get much sympathy on here. It was a learning curve for everyone as we figured out that longer head bolts were required, that the rocker shaft studs were different, the shaft pedestals were wider, etc. But that was two years ago man.
Does this mean you dont love me anymore?

We still love you man. Is this for a racer or street?

Auto Transport Service
Back