• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trim and front bumper questions 70 charger

Sheriffandy013

Local time
11:41 AM
Reaction score
First, the lower bumper brackets on the front bumper, looks like a lot of people are leaving these off? Is this ok, cause any support issues? Second, I’m wanting to powder coat the front abs rear bumpers as well as the trim, going black, anyone else done this? Issues?

Thanks!

Powder coating requires electrical transfer and ABS is essentially plastic that cannot be grounded. It will not adhere.

Not sure which bumper brackets your talking about.
abs Typo??? Might be "and"?? Big fingers. lol Keys are side by side. Just saying.
I think stainless, chrome and aluminum can be powder coated. CC68 will reply back I'm sure.

Yes, I did not mean abs…. Should read front and rear bumpers…also wanting theExterior trim for the car powder coated…70 charger. Are the lower support brackets needed for the front?

Pretty much anything metal can be powder coated. There are "low temp" powders on the market but I have no experience with them and am not familiar with their uses or characteristics.

I'm sorry still not sure which lower brackets. Any pics??

bumper frame 2.JPG

bumperetts I believe he talking about,and yes the trim can be powder coated. Your talking about the stainless trim windows and doors?

Yes, I did not mean abs…. Should read front and rear bumpers…also wanting theExterior trim for the car powder coated…70 charger. Are the lower support brackets needed for the front?
ANother thing you need to think about with powder coating is that it has to go in a oven to cure. A 8 foot piece of chrome might be more than a challenge for most coaters.

bumperetts I believe he talking about,and yes the trim can be powder coated. Your talking about the stainless trim windows and doors?
Yes, bumperetts is the question. They are not needed? Looks like a lot of cars without them? Just want to make sure not running then is ok. The ones on the car took a good wack at some point and the look without them is cleaner imo.

Yes, bumperetts is the question. They are not needed? Looks like a lot of cars without them? Just want to make sure not running then is ok. The ones on the car took a good wack at some point and the look without them is cleaner imo.
Front bumper guards were option code M81.

My Charger did not come with front bumper guards. I like the cleaner look without them.

By the way, rear bumper guards were standard on all Charger models.

Do you have the broadcast sheet for your car?

Reference:
1970 Dodge Charger Registry

67_bumper_reassembly_begins.JPG

I painted my chrome bumper. I found a YouTube video that said to sand it really good with 80 grit before priming. The guy in the video drove his truck daily for a year without the paint flaking off.

ANother thing you need to think about with powder coating is that it has to go in a oven to cure. A 8 foot piece of chrome might be more than a challenge for most coaters.
Take it to a funeral home :lol:

I do not, I think it was a pretty plain Jane 318 though. Thanks for the info! I do have them, they look to be original but ones took a decent wack at some point. I’ll leave them off if they are not necessary.

I do not, I think it was a key plain Jane 318 though. Thanks for the info!
Even a plain Jane '70 Charger will probably have a broadcast sheet.

Look under the back seat cushion for starters.

72_bumper_bolts_paint_damage.JPG

Having 2nd thoughts about the painted bumpers. How did the factory manage to install these bolts without destroying the paint?

The tail light housings did some damage on the way in as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back