• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trouble with Western Digital HDD storage on Win10

kiwigtx

Henchman #4 and Jack-Stand Racer #2
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:52 AM
Reaction score
After many months of head scratching, and almost at the point of picking up this 2Tb storage device and throwing it out the window.....I gave it one more bash to fix.

WDMyCloud has been announcing an upcoming cut off and curtailment or support for many of their storage devices. Annoying, as I have a lot of my saved pictures and files on a single device, as well as numerous USB sticks. Of course the device model I have is one of those in line for the chop....so with the deadline looming, the rush to save my files is on.

Just spent another 2 hours trawling for a good answer....or answers. Most answers you find are either red herrings or just plain garbage that is not applicable.

If anyone here has the same issues.....read on.

The actual answer that fixed my problem is as follows;

(Fixed) WD My Cloud Windows 10 Cannot Access | 11 Solutions (ubackup.com)
* Solution #3 is the one that helped me out.

upload_2022-1-7_17-24-49.png

I am no computer guru or expert by any means....but I trusted my instinct, and took a picture of previous settings :D ....rebooted after checking that box (all 4 x boxes light up) ....and it works. I can now access all my files again. I don't use the Cloud feature, so I don't think I need to worry now.

This is another example of Microsoft interfering, and dropping off services that they are not involved in.

(boxes to check below)
upload_2022-1-7_17-27-9.png

I hope this is of some use to someone out there. It's good to share. :thumbsup:

I went through that when we upgraded to server 2019.

All of our printers use SMB 1.0 for the scan feature, and it quit working.

Glad you got it working. smb1 is disabled these days to stop exploits/ransomware from jumping from device to device on your network and infecting them. Pretty interesting that the NSA found this vulnerability in smb and added it to their hacking toolkit. Oops, the tookit got stolen by hackers and now we have wannacry and other ransomware attacks.

"The U.S. National Security Agency discovered the vulnerability in the Windows implementation of the SMB protocol. However, instead of reporting the vulnerability to Microsoft, it developed an exploit kit dubbed ‘EternalBlue’ to exploit the vulnerability.

The EternalBlue exploit kit was however stolen by the Shadow Brokers hacking group who later leaked the exploit kit on April 08, 2017."

https://frameboxxindore.com/other/why-is-smb1-disabled-windows-10.html

https://cyware.com/news/what-is-smb...aunch-the-wannacry-ransomware-attack-c5a97c48

Well for one thing KIWI, I don't use the "CLOUD" at all!!! I sue WD sub hard drives for all my storage where I save everything to myself. The Virtual "CLOUD" concerns me. Too much manipulation by unknowns, gives me pause to pay real close attention to what and where I store things. KISS principle is my mantra when it comes to storing me and all that is about or related to me. Plus I keep my security software close at hand an watched at every corner...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Just to be clear...I don't use the Cloud system either.

It annoys me that Samsung phones automatically save all your pictures to the Cloud. I am trying to recover all my files and looking to store them locally on my private network. So I guess I will be buying another storage device now that I can access my files again.

No point giving hackers any more advantage than they already have.

SMB1 is very insecure and if enabled can be a risk. I would recommend updating firmware or replacing any devices that rely on it to work.

Auto Transport Service
Back