• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Truck" 440 Taller Valve Covers - More Baffle Clearance?

PurpleBeeper

Local time
8:14 AM
Reaction score
So I bought a set of "taller truck valve covers" for a big block motor pretty cheap. They are supposed to be a little taller than car valve covers. Do I get any extra oil baffle clearance?

I'm trying to clear some Isky ductile iron rocker arms. I may end up stacking 2 valve cover gaskets too. I just don't want to install them & fire up the motor and have the rockers hitting. I cut the baffles out of my current stock rockers for clearance.

upload_2018-5-4_20-12-57.png

Put one on with a single gskt & hold it down with ur hand? I had stock covers w/Iskys yrs ago & no problems(1 gskt.)

Measure the OEM covers, then the "truck" covers, see if & how much difference.

Measure the OEM covers, then the "truck" covers, see if & how much difference.
Well, the baffles in the old covers are long gone, so I have nothing to compare to. :(
& oldbee, at least in my case, the Isky ductile iron rockers (adjustment bolts) hit the baffles with one cork gasket....that's why I cut them out. I'm not sure how to measure my rocker-to-baffle clearance.

Fire it up for a couple seconds & hold the cover down, you’ll feel it if they’re hitting. For that short of time, there won’t be any damage done.

bump the rocker to full height and wipe any oil off the top, use a small piece of clay { like checking piston clearance } and set your new valve cover back on with no gasket.

bump the rocker to full height and wipe any oil off the top, use a small piece of clay { like checking piston clearance } and set your new valve cover back on with no gasket.
Yeah, no gskt wud be even better.

I have measured them both. In my case, the baffle was actually in about the same location between the two. The adjusters may, or may not hit. Shorter adjusters, if available could make the difference.

Put them on the engine and run it. When you take the VCs off, you'll see where they hit. Simply drill a clearance hole in those locations. No need to cut the baffle out.

Last edited:
I have measured them both. In my case, the baffle was actually in about the same location between the two. The adjusters may, or may not hit. Shorter adjusters, if available could make the difference.

Put them on the engine and run it. When you take the VCs off, you'll see where they hit. Simply drill a clearance hole in those locations. No need to cut the baffle out.

1. No kidding? I was worried about that...valve covers taller, but baffles same height.
2. That is a GREAT idea to drill holes! I never thought of that. On my current set of valve covers it was pretty darn obvious where the rocker adjusters were hitting.....1/8" dents.....and no stethoscope needed, it was pretty darn loud & I thought I'd bent a pushrod.

I drilled holes in my baffles to create some clearance for the isky rockers. If you have access to a torch , try and heat the baffle up to ceate dimples for the clearance you need, and keep the baffles as one solid piece.
If you drill, make the hole as small as needed. You'd be suprised how much oil will make it past the pcv into your intake...not good for overall combustion.
I drilled a set and made the holes fairly large, and sure enough I was sucking oil. Found another set made the holes much smaller, I still get a tad of oil in pcv hose but not as much.

Auto Transport Service
Back