• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Truck Transmission?


Well-Known Member
Local time
4:13 PM
Oct 31, 2021
Reaction score
Church Point La. (Lewisburg)
I've got a 74 charger with a 318 and three speed automatic we bought several months ago. We bought it from a flipper that didn't know jack about the car other than the engine and transmission had some work done on them. Gaskets appeared to have been changed. The car was supposed to be getting set up for the 1/4 mile. I've been doing a lot of research on the car and found that the car has a 76 truck transmission for 318 & 360 motors in the D100, D200 and D300, short extension. Number is 3898867. I'm assuming it is a heavier duty transmission with maybe some gearing to help on the track. I'll continue to research it but was looking for some input or experience with that type of setup. The pan looks like one for a 727.

74 trans numbers.JPG
Last edited:
transmission with maybe some gearing to help on the track
Truck transmission yes and 727 yes.... Steeper gearing is not likely unless someone changed aftermarket gearing into it.... Thats not cheap if they did.
All the 727 gear ratios are the same, zero options from the factory on the ratio.

heavy duty? Not if it’s from a 318.
When I was collecting 727's I had many from Dodge vans, 318 or 360. Many had the 4 disc front drum(360 version) and at least one 4 pinion planetary, a few both. I've used them for my own drag race use and for customers. '76 is a fairly good year as I recall. You can't tell what the internals are, unless you open it up. Mopar had so many versions of 727's I can't count.
On the early 4 wheel drive trucks the 727 had a short extension tail shaft and a short drive shaft connecting to the transfer case.
I think it might have the 4-clutch front drum, and 4 pinion planet gear. The version I had, 1973, a yoke bolted to the output shaft, so the driveshaft would need a splined slip joint.
you can replace the output shaft and tail extension with a car version and then use the transmission slip yoke with a one piece driveshaft.
IIRC the 2 wheel drive trucks had the longer auto style tail shafts, not the short style that connected to the transfer case.
Auto Transport Service