• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TRUE OR FALSE: A 1971 B-body....

V24x2

Local time
10:20 PM
Reaction score
A 1971 B-body FRONT FRAME RAIL is the same/identicle to a 1970-74 E-body front frame rail??? DRIVERS SIDE to be more specific!!!
TRUE.....or FALSE??? (If false...why??)lol.

I know the inner fenders are the same but I’ll bet the rail is longer from torsion bar crossmember to the end of the front.. I think a charger has more out past the core support.. I’ve got a 72 charger and would have to measure... or check supplier part numbers for differences.

Short answer; no.
https://nationalmoparts.com/parts-c...geV1_WIDE.tpl&product_id=6211&category_id=678
upload_2021-3-10_20-3-18.png

Last edited:
Interesting, amazing how the outside sheet metal looks longer..

Actually the answer is YES. There are some very minor differences mostly with the 70E but they do easily interchange. Same size and stampings. There are a lot of E-bodies out there with my 71-2B body front frame rails in them. Core support, front rails, aprons and T/bar cross member all interchange. 70E T/bar cross member has different brake cable hole. A/C firewall will fit with a minor modification. Non-A/C wall is different. Front floor pan is the same.
AMD says no but they don't actually know what all their parts fit.

Actually the answer is YES. There are some very minor differences mostly with the 70E but they do easily interchange. Same size and stampings. There are a lot of E-bodies out there with my 71-2B body front frame rails in them. Core support, front rails, aprons and T/bar cross member all interchange. 70E T/bar cross member has different brake cable hole. A/C firewall will fit with a minor modification. Non-A/C wall is different. Front floor pan is the same.
AMD says no but they don't actually know what all their parts fit.
Thankyou much! I’ve heard it in the past and minor differences don’t bother me at all. Found a 71 rr that was hit pretty good in the front left....but the price is right! Thankyou again!!

Also....let me just say that this “unit” kinda makes it easier also, much less intimidating fosho!!

71 B body and 71 E body use the same rad support, battery tray, front frame rails, inner aprons, torsion bar crossmember, interior floor, and 4 speed hump on console shift cars. lower firewalls are the same, except the hidden "plenum" area, but an E body firewall can be spliced to fit a B body if necessary. The hood hinges will not interchange, because the upper cowl is taller on the B body, which makes the hinges taller too. Basically you can swap almost all of the welded front end from a 71-72 2 or 4 door B body onto an E body and vice versa. The 73-74 E bodies use different bumper mount holes, due to the upgraded bumpers, so watch out for that.

Auto Transport Service
Back