• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk spring tool

5wndwcpe

Huge Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:26 AM
Reaction score
Okay, for those of you following along at home, this is an update of a tool I made a few years back. It's a trunk torsion spring installation tool and as per a members request, I'll post up a bunch of photos with a scale so you too can fab this beauty at your leisure.

In actuality, there are two tools, one for each side of the car, just a mirror image of each other.

The way it works is you engage the "S" shaped end of the spring in the appropriate hole in the trunk support bracket and the tool indexes the other end of the spring where the nylon slider is. You wind up the spring and "pop" it over the detent. Easy peasy.

DSCN1311.JPG DSCN1312.JPG DSCN1313.JPG DSCN1314.JPG DSCN1315.JPG

I just did mine with a round pinch bar. less than a minute and done.

A rope with a block on each end.. Just pull on it and move it over

Looks good Pete! I might give that a try. I wonder if you could make it out of a piece of delron or teflon to prevent scratching? Wonder if would be stiff enough? Yeah I know "That's what she said!" lol

Last edited:
Wow Pete, I just checked out your other episodes! Brilliant ideas! Way to think outside the box. I can only imagine that there are several copies and different versions of these handy one of a kind tools!
I geared up a spring streacher to help streach the hood springs for media blasting-primeing-painting worked relly well. Fit in my blast cabinet so very convient to use.
Anything else on the drawing board? I just finished making a new chuck wrench for my 3 jaw chuck this afternoon. Love tinkering around in the shop like that.
Thanks Pete!
Hey Pete don't mean to hyjack your thread. I just wanted to show you what I geared up. I think you get the idea. Here it is in use.

spring streacher.JPG

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back