• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to date code a water pump housing

Scott Kiger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:40 AM
Reaction score
9AABD3D5-06EB-4A66-A2C2-9AA7E1ABF3B5.jpeg
3A755295-F953-41A6-A1BA-88DDB2922736.jpeg
A little help would be greatly appreciated. Pay no attention to the wrong color it’s painted. What is the date code on this housing. Reads like 12-1 to me but the X is throwing me. It is on a matching numbers engine to a 12-11-67 built 68 road runner

The casting number was used from M.Y. 67 to at least 71. My guess is, it is original, they didn't go bad very often.

1 K 20
1= 1971
K=Oct
20=20th

You ask why I say '71, the casting number starts with 27 which indicates the basic casting started in '67, the letter is the month excluding the letter "I", and the last is obviously the day

1 K 20
1= 1971
K=Oct
20=20th

You ask why I say '71, the casting number starts with 27 which indicates the basic casting started in '67, the letter is the month excluding the letter "I", and the last is obviously the day

I think you are reading it wrong I think it’s 11-20 like the poster said above. Here is a great tutorial video I found. The X in the number is used the same way as a dash is.

I think you are reading it wrong I think it’s 11-20 like the poster said above. Here is a great tutorial video I found. The X in the number is used the same way as a dash is.

You are correct, my post above would apply to heads and other parts date codes (including GM crap), I work on everything. In the above, I wonder if the year can be discerned from the single number above the casting number next to the symbol. It is hard to see at the OP pic angle, but it looks like a 3 or an 8. If it is an 8, and him knowing the year of the car ('68), it would make sense. I looked at the 3 housings I have and two had a dash, and the other just a space.

Auto Transport Service
Back