• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to figure out the "proper" order of parts for the rear end bearings install

conv67bdere

Super Moderator
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:15 AM
Reaction score
Alright . . . got my rear end narrowed 3" on each side - got the axles ordered and delivered . . .

SO now it's time to look at putting it all back together ( and some dummy ( me ) forgot to take enough pictures to get all the stuff figured out ( and I DON'T want to mess this up ) . . .

So I've got a couple questions . . .

From the service manual . . . it shows this . . .

sm_installquestions01.jpg

The picture above show (2) gaskets . . . which one is which in the above picture ?
And I've got (2) gaskets . . . right ( white one ) is foam

sm_installquestions02.jpg

And I've got these too . . . one adjustable, one fixed . . .

sm_installquestions03.jpg

On the Service manual picture - it does not show the backing plate and it's relationship with all the rest of the parts.

And for the last picture, one of these is adjustable , one is fixed . . .
- Does the adjustable part go on the Passenger side or driver side ?

Working out "most" of the rest of the parts . . . and need to get them put together in the proper order so I don't have to do this all over again . . .

Note to self - take BETTER pictures next time . . .

The steel gasket goes between the backing plate and the rear end housing. The foam seal goes between the (adjuster plate and the non adjuster plate) and the backing plate........

The adjuster plate goes on the passenger side

Last edited:
Make absolutely sure to slip those plates on the axle before you press on the bearings.......Also, be sure to place the seals correctly in the plates....I am not referring to the gaskets....

The rubbers bands are a cheap helper to keep the plates from flopping around

DSC03891.JPG
DSC03893.JPG
DSC03894.JPG
DSC03896.JPG
DSC04413.JPG

Make absolutely sure to slip those plates on the axle before you press on the bearings.......Also, be sure to place the seals correctly in the plates....I am not referring to the gaskets....

The rubbers bands are a cheap helper to keep the plates from flopping around

View attachment 643982 View attachment 643984 View attachment 643985 View attachment 643988 View attachment 643990

That's exactly why I'm asking ( and double - triple checking ) so that I get it right the first time - I've never done this before . . .

THANKS ! !

So, this is what I've got for the process and the order . . . taking it one part at a time. . . .

First, these seals need to go into the adjuster/non-adjuster plates . . .

The non-adjuster ( left ) goes on the driver side - the adjuster ( right ) goes on the passenger side . . .

sm_install01.jpg

To help with this the lathe helped me to make this from 2" PVC pipe
( it was so slightly too large on the outside, and too small on the inside )
So I cut away enough to allow the seal to fit properly . . .

sm_install02.jpg

Fits perfectly . . . now to install them . . .

sm_install03.jpg

Done - installed - the tool worked great ( just wish I had metal to make the same tool ) . . .

sm_install04.jpg

And this is the order ( and direction of the parts ) as they get installed . . .
- the bearing/race goes in the direction shown ?
- - - - - ASKING - race first on the shaft, then the bearing to capture it ?
- then the collar to capture the bearing
- then the foam gasket
- then the backing plate
- then the other seal ( this is more like paper than steel )
- to the flange of the axle housing . . .

sm_install05.jpg

And this seal gets mounted into the end of the axle ( in this orientation ) ? ? ?

sm_install06.jpg

Adjuster/non-adjuster plate - foam seal - backing plate

sm_install07.jpg

Other seal goes against the flange on the axle housing . . .

sm_install08.jpg

If I didn't mess up something in this photo documentary - I think I've got it now . . . and I've already gotten started on the process - (2) seals already installed . . .

Last edited:
The seals I referred to above......
That's exactly why I'm asking ( and double - triple checking ) so that I get it right the first time - I've never done this before . . .

THANKS ! !

So, this is what I've got for the process and the order . . . taking it one part at a time. . . .

First, these seals need to go into the adjuster/non-adjuster plates . . .

The non-adjuster ( left ) goes on the driver side - the adjuster ( right ) goes on the passenger side . . .

View attachment 644488

To help with this the lathe helped me to make this from 2" PVC pipe
( it was so slightly too large on the outside, and too small on the inside )
So I cut away enough to allow the seal to fit properly . . .

View attachment 644489
Fits perfectly . . . now to install them . . .

View attachment 644490

Done - installed - the tool worked great ( just wish I had metal to make the same tool ) . . .

View attachment 644491

And this is the order ( and direction of the parts ) as they get installed . . .
- the bearing/race goes in the direction shown ?
- - - - - ASKING - race first on the shaft, then the bearing to capture it ?
- then the collar to capture the bearing
- then the foam gasket
- then the backing plate
- then the other seal ( this is more like paper than steel )
- to the flange of the axle housing . . .

View attachment 644492

And this seal gets mounted into the end of the axle ( in this orientation ) ? ? ?

View attachment 644493

Adjuster/non-adjuster plate - foam seal - backing plate

View attachment 644494

Other seal goes against the flange on the axle housing . . .

View attachment 644495

If I didn't mess up something in this photo documentary - I think I've got it now . . . and I've already gotten started on the process - (2) seals already installed . . .
Correct......

Do you have the adjuster lock bracket?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-8-3-...420643?hash=item1a3102dbe3:g:TDkAAOSwHwJaVs9g

Auto Transport Service
Back