• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to help a GM friend out, and need some input.

Hilljack68

Local time
2:24 PM
Reaction score
A buddy of mine is about to pick up a barn find 66 GTO (389/4spd), and was asking what I thought was a fair price. I told him being a Mopar guy, I'm not the best one to ask. I was thinking 20K. Any thoughts are welcome.

** UPDATE: The engine is not the original. It's a '68 engine, and therefore (according to him) probably a 400 not a 389. Also, it hasn't run in 30 years.

20220109_155341.jpg
20220109_155119.jpg
20220109_155243.jpg

Last edited:
No idea on value, but looks like a nice car. 4 or 6 bbl intake?

South Carolina car for the first 25 years of it's life, then garaged here in Ohio. No rot to be seen.

I'm no expert but from what I see that's way low.
I would think 25k.
That's a nice car

According to www.NADAGuides.com JD Powers

assuming it's all cleaned up running & driving
ready to roll, not just barn/garage fresh

I'd take 20% off if it sat for any amount of time

Low Retail $27,200 base model HT - #3 driver
Low Retail ad 4 speed & AC $38,080 base model HT - #3 driver

Average Retail $40,100 base model 389 6 bbl #2 nice clean car
Average Retail $56,140 added 4 speed & AC #2 nice car, better than driver quailty

High Retail #1 condition $79,200 near perfect car base model 389 6bbl
High Retail #1 condition add 4 speed & AC as hi as $110,800 #1- perfect car

How would you value it if it was a 67 GTX or Coronet R/T in the same shape? That should be a decent comparison.

That car just made the Hagerty bull market list as a good buy to appreciate $ wise in the future. Looks good. I would say 20k -25k in that condition in today's market. JMHO

assuming it's all cleaned up running & driving
ready to roll, not just barn/garage fresh

It hasn't run in over ten years. It's the always-popular "It ran when it was parked".

The LF wheel is locked up (hence the rubber mark in the picture).

One tear in the driver's seat.

May have mice damage... ie: electrical damage.

The numbers seem to indicate it was originally silver.

How would you value it if it was a 67 GTX or Coronet R/T in the same shape? That should be a decent comparison.

Yeah, that was my first thought too, but I have a hard time being objective. I'd pay more for the equivalent Mopars than I would a brand X.
:lol:

It hasn't run in over ten years. It's the always-popular "It ran when it was parked".

The LF wheel is locked up (hence the rubber mark in the picture).

One tear in the driver's seat.

May have mice damage... ie: electrical damage.

The numbers seem to indicate it was originally silver.
Not knowing exactly what is wrong yet

could be a $20k car as it sits
they have come way up & are popular
(1965 GTO is my personal favorite, but I'd take a 67, 70 or 71))

a lil' work, be worth a bunch more
especially if it's all there,
deduct what you think has to be done, & replaced,
IMO & add another 10% to that
sitting for that time
fuel, anything rubber, hoses, brakes, wires ?, battery, fluids/oils
& all safety systems, all should be addressed

The cosmetic stuff, color & electrical gremlins is a tad harder,
seat covers aren't too expensive, easy to get, it's a GM
I'd still figure the cost & time to deal with it

not being org. color may not mean as much
But;
'Some Pontiac guys' can be just as ****-retentive
as US MoPar guys too, when it comes to all OE & price
could be another big price/value hit,
unless it's a desirable color to the buyers

I haven't dealt a lot with Pontiac stuff since like 2005-ish

UPDATE: Just got more info from my friend...

The engine is not the original. It's a '68 engine, and therefore (according to him) probably a 400 not a 389. Also, it hasn't run in 30 years.

much depends on the actual, honest condition of the frame and all the sheet metal.......a hidden can of worms could cost several thousands

I would think considering the circumstances that 20K would be about the top.
30 years, boy howdy...thats a long time !
I would not trust ANY rubber component after that long. That includes rubber suspension parts.
Color is not original, engine is not original or even correct year.
Figuring out why it hasn't run in 30 years could be expensive (why didn't current owner try to fix, I mean 30 years is plenty of time)
I am thinking that there is more going on to the interior than meets the eye. Most, if not all, needs to be redone.

I will stop there because that is going to be a wad of dough.

It all depends on what your friend plans to do with it. It will take deep pockets to make it a show car (all original). A fun driver, not as much...but still a good chunk of money.

Just as a point of reference my 68 GTX sat in a storage facility for 30 years also while I traveled the country living in various states and working. I finally pulled it out and had my MN connections restore it. They did the work and my job was finding what parts were needed. I live in CA the car was always in MN until done and shipped out to me. I went up there quite a few times to check on her. But I can tell you I spent a wad of dough big enough to choke a horse to get it to my standards. Everything on that car had to be gone thru to get it right and because it sat for so long. Of course I rebuilt the entire drive train and beefed it up quite a bit - maybe more than necessary. This buyer likely could do his own work and save a lot there and there’s maybe less to do depending on how annal he is. I was very annal and did very little actual work on the car but the list was long.

A long way around saying it’s a beauty but what I would pay would also depend on my budget and timeline for after I owned it. In the pics the car looks great - but so did mine.

Well, the current owner is in his 80's, and finally realized he's NOT "going to fix it up some day". It's disappointing, to say the least. It's certainly going to require a bucket of Benjamins.

Auto Transport Service
Back