• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TTI Headers and Starter interference

65_Satellite

Local time
11:43 AM
Reaction score
Hey all. I am in the process of doing a 4spd swap to my 65 Satellite (check out my garages for full details) and I just realized that my current starter is pretty tight in the headers. Now this car had the headers on it when I got it with this starter. It was an auto and I didn’t have any issues with starting or heat soak so not sure if I need to worry or not. Here are some pics I took today. The starter is literally touching one of the tubes and the wire is pretty damn close. Here’s a few pics. Am I ok here or should I be looking at another starter? 440 Source has one fairly inexpensive http://store.440source.com/Premium-Light-Weight-High-Torque-Mini-Starter/productinfo/123-1000/
4D18CCBE-C3C4-40B4-A40A-9BC02E1DF693.jpeg
C9E916E6-E35B-49A9-9089-32FFC5B6B16B.jpeg
8AD15D76-5E02-4984-936E-6D15EB795CA1.jpeg
6845B8A9-86F1-422E-9E55-622BBC19F330.jpeg
DE936040-A8E8-4D42-88D7-96B8C7F20621.jpeg
F826CEE1-325E-4169-BE0D-FB6CD4B1CB23.jpeg

Second part to this question is, if I need to change the starter - is there a trick to getting it out or am I looking at pulling that header off? I should have realized this when the tranny was out but I didn’t even notice when I took it apart. It wasn’t until I was putting the starter back in after the trans was in that I realized it was so damn close.

I can't give you an answer but, if the header comes off I recommend denting that tube for clearance. After watching Freiburger smash the hell out of a set on Engine Masters without losing any power I would never settle for tight clearance again.
Mike

Starters and headers have been a problem for ever. If you could build a shield to go around the starter would be my choice. The wires need protection.

Boy, that is really tight. Can't believe you haven't had melted wires or heat soak issues. Those sure don't fit like all my TTI headers do. Or maybe they are not the correct application for your car?

I can't give you an answer but, if the header comes off I recommend denting that tube for clearance. After watching Freiburger smash the hell out of a set on Engine Masters without losing any power I would never settle for tight clearance again.
Mike
That's likely what im going to need to do unless I need to get a different starter

Starters and headers have been a problem for ever. If you could build a shield to go around the starter would be my choice. The wires need protection.
That's my issue, I think. I don't see enough room to even put anything there. The starter housing at the top is actually touching one of the tubes and the wire at the bottom is about an 1/8" from touching the tube. I don't know what I could fit in there, if anything

Those don’t look like tti to me. My tti and mini starter had lots of clearance.
They are TTI. The bare steel, uncoated ones. I’m thinking that what is in here is not a mini starter and that may be my whole issue. Next prob is I think I’ll need to pull the header off to change the starter. Here’s a pic of the TTI headers from their site next to mine for reference.
228D8BB3-C42A-4CF6-A1D8-55B2D1B6D739.jpeg

Boy, that is really tight. Can't believe you haven't had melted wires or heat soak issues. Those sure don't fit like all my TTI headers do. Or maybe they are not the correct application for your car?
TTI's site has the application list and they fit a wide range. This is from their site:

1-3/4" FULL-LENGTH HEADERS, 3.0" collectors

HEADER NO. 383440-134

• Applications: 67-76 A-body, 62-74 B-body and 70-74 E-body

• B & RB Engines: 383, 400, 440, 413, 426-wedge, 493-572 crate

• Cylinder Heads: OEM or Equivalent - Factory 915, 906, 452, Bulldog, Edelbrock E-street, Edelbrock Performer RPM, Indy-EZ, Stage 5, Trick Flow, 440-Source

I can't even get to the starter to get a number off it to see what model it is. Im assuming by the size of it, its likely not a mini starter and that may need to be what I have to do.

If not a mini starter then I'm with you. It's always been a issue with headers and starter room. One set of headers fit great another touch the starter. I'll be watching this as you tackle this. But from the pics to me and it just might be the angle of the pic those headers don't look the same.

TTI's site has the application list and they fit a wide range. This is from their site:

1-3/4" FULL-LENGTH HEADERS, 3.0" collectors

HEADER NO. 383440-134

• Applications: 67-76 A-body, 62-74 B-body and 70-74 E-body

• B & RB Engines: 383, 400, 440, 413, 426-wedge, 493-572 crate

• Cylinder Heads: OEM or Equivalent - Factory 915, 906, 452, Bulldog, Edelbrock E-street, Edelbrock Performer RPM, Indy-EZ, Stage 5, Trick Flow, 440-Source

I can't even get to the starter to get a number off it to see what model it is. Im assuming by the size of it, its likely not a mini starter and that may need to be what I have to do.
I run their 1 7/8" headers and have more clearance than you. I have always used mini starters however. You still have to get the header out of the way for a starter swap. Switch to a mini and I think you will be good to go.

I run their 1 7/8" headers and have more clearance than you. I have always used mini starters however. You still have to get the header out of the way for a starter swap. Switch to a mini and I think you will be good to go.
I think I may end up picking up the starter from 440 Source that I posted the link above. It looks like Im going to need to unbolt the collector as well as unbolt it from the heads to get the header out of the way enough to get the old starter out. Contemplating if I should do it now, or wait until (or if) it goes bad. Knock on wood, I've driven the car for a year and a half with the current setup in it and no issues.

Don't let your luck run out change it now. Wiring on heat not a good idea.

Look at the terminals and outside the case end plate bolts on the OP's starter.

If it's not a mini, then what is it?

Look at the terminals and outside the case end plate bolts on the OP's starter.

If it's not a mini, then what is it?
@YY1 are you suggesting that you think what is currently installed IS a mini starter? I don't want to spend money to get one if its the same thing

YY1 from the pics I have to agree with you. So now comes to what should be done to get the wiring off the headers. Should he wrap the wiring so not to touch the header. Or use the hammer trick which I myself not a fan of doing.

YY1 from the pics I have to agree with you. So now comes to what should be done to get the wiring off the headers. Should he wrap the wiring so not to touch the header. Or use the hammer trick which I myself not a fan of doing.
ok, I saw your comment on the other thread as well. So you also believe this is a mini starter already. I don't want to shell out the cash to buy another one to find out its the same. but either way, it looks like im going to need to pull the header out to make some "adjustments" or wrap the starter or the header pipe right there.

Kind of hard to get a good pic, but here is what I do. I cut the terminal to seperate the 2 wires so I can route them easier. This starter is from DB Electrical. There is at least 3/4" from the front of it to the header tube.

20220303_065512.jpg

ok, I saw your comment on the other thread as well. So you also believe this is a mini starter already. I don't want to shell out the cash to buy another one to find out its the same. but either way, it looks like im going to need to pull the header out to make some "adjustments" or wrap the starter or the header pipe right there.
Yes after seeing what YY1 has pics of it looks to be a mini. I think if you step back and just redo the wiring so not to lay on the header you will be fine.

Auto Transport Service
Back