• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TTI vs Hedman headers

trim

Local time
6:10 PM
Reaction score
Hi, Found it next to impossible to remove the plugs with a set of Hedman headers on my recent 69 RoadRunner w/383 4 spd. purchase. Since they got them in, I figured they would come out and with many unmentionable spoken words they did come out. I noticed that they had to dent the headers in many places to get them to fit and still almost wore a hole in them where they were up against the mini starter. I have heard that TTI's are a better fit, at least TTI says so. :eusa_eh:
Anyone had any experience with the 2 of them?
I was just reading a thread where someone had to use short plugs and heat shields (guess that's normal?) with a TTI header... but don't remember which engine they had.
Soooo, what to go with, change to TTI's or keep fighting the Headman's?
Thanks for any heads up, trim

i have 2" tti's on the 440 in my 65 coronet. the #5 plug is a little awkward but the reas are easy, with proper tools. i think the 1 3/4" tti's would be very easy for plug removal, especially in a 383-400. i have tti exhaust on both cars. its pricey but it works. i don't like having to jump thru a bunch of hoops to sevice my cars.

B and RB engines are all the same when it comes to plug remove/install. TTI headers are way over priced and not worth it. 1962 to date the best header for performance and plug install/remove on B, RB engines are Hooker super comp.

I have to agree with Patrick....never had any issues with the Hookers...small or big block. I do have a set of TTI's waiting in the shop for when I'm ready for them. I got them half price of new from someone that decided to go with a set of racing tubes. He went to a larger diameter plus stepped...

I have hooker super comp on my 440/493 and 3 out the 8 are a pain in the ***. One of them so bad I have to use a open end wrench. I have the stealth heads thank god I didnt go with the eddy heads and the angle plug ports..

Sorta disagree....

I have Hedman's on my 68 Superbee and Doug's on my 68 GTS. At least on A bodies, the routing of the tubes was so different, that the Doug's made sense. They were ceramic coated and cost more, but still worth it. Getting around the Z bar, well that's a swear word.

The Hedman's (again on A bodies) were on the car when I bought it. 3 of the 4 tubes went in front of the steering arm and hit every driveway you pulled into. Plain and simple....they were awful.

On B bodies, I don't have the experience to say. There's two dented tubes on my Super Bee to get by the steering box. A few of the spark plugs are somewhat hidden.

Read this: http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/exhaust/17.html

TTI does have excellent support and everyone that has used them (again A body) like them and would do it again. I looked the the Hooker Super Comps....they look nice. Looks like from my reading, that if your thrilled with TTI, Doug's might be a better choice ($$ wise)

Just my .02

well guy's tell you what, when i got into this poop everybody told me tti was the way to do mopar. same as hooker supercomps was the way to do another one. now when i get into my 3rd one, guess what, i bet there is another one for it.:headbang: all i whan't is a grin. and my adolesencents back, so, whats today? :headbang:

For what it's worth, I've used Hooker Comp on my last 3 BB's. Compared to some other engines I've done plugs on, both old & new, they're a piece of cake.

I run TTi 2 1/4 on my 62 and they fit like a dream I didnt even need a BFH. That big of a header makes it a little tough to get the plugs in on the passenger side but oh well.yea there expensive but you get what you pay for these days. dont just look at the cost look at the metal used ,coating used and the thick flanges with very nice welding on the gasket side. my two cents worth!:tied up:

Attachments

• my car back from the head liner 030.jpg
    my car back from the head liner 030.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,019
  • my car back from the head liner 035.jpg
    my car back from the head liner 035.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 1,157
  • my car back from the head liner 026.jpg
    my car back from the head liner 026.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 1,468
I had Hedman 1-3/4 headers on my old 440 and now I have 2" TTI's on my new eng. This is in my 63 Plymouth. The plugs were about the same to get at with both headers. I will say even though the TTI's are a bigger tube they fit better and were just as easy to get the plugs out. The only tight one for me is #6 but it really is not that bad. I just make sure I only change them when the eng is cold. Here are the TTI's. Ron

100_1469.jpg

And these are the Hedmans. Ron

179824023.gif

From what I understand....TTI is the absolute S**T! They are pretty as hell, stay that way for a long time, and fit like a dream. BUT...they are too expensive for me.
I went with Hedman Elites....and if I have to bash them up a little...so be it. Im not spending that kind of money on headers.
383 man knows what I mean...he has run both.

The Hedman Elite I used worked fine. And I only had to put one little ding in them. I went to TTI with my new eng as I wanted a 2" headers for this eng and I really like the TTI. Both are good headers and I would not hesitate to use either. TTI has the best quality to me but the Hedmans are a fine header. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back