• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tuff Wheel on a 68 Road Runner

kencarrie

Local time
8:20 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys looking for some help here. Want to put a Tuff Wheel in my Road Runner. Going to keep the original wheel of course. What adapter collars are needed to put a re-po Tuff Wheel on it. I've only dealt w/E & A bodies 70 up cars, so for them its easy.
Let me know please.
Thanks, Ken

IMG_2146.JPG

Looks like this. I have an original if needed, the one pictured I sold but have another in black.

IMG_6563.JPG IMG_6564.JPG

Does that flange clear a 68/69 column?

I know it does on a '70.

...and it doesn't on a 66 or 67.

Last edited:
If that's just a standard one like an A & E body that makes it easy. I was thinking the same thing the 68 column's are smaller diameter, but if it works okay

You may have to trim the flange back on the adapter to make it fit a 68 steering column. Flaming river has a billet adapter that may work too.

Does that flange clear a 68/69 column?

I know it does on a '70.

...and it doesn't on a 66 or 67.

I could not tell you. I never tried putting one on a 69 & back vehicle. Just posting that is the style he is going to need to modify as the E-body one will rest on his chest...

If that's just a standard one like an A & E body that makes it easy. I was thinking the same thing the 68 column's are smaller diameter, but if it works okay
It is A & B body... Like I said above the E-body can will stick out in your chest..

Thanks for the help, the smallest style appears to be from Grant. Think I will go that route for my project.

welcome to the site. great looking '68. Do you ever make it to Hot Summer Nights? I think I'd remember seeing it there.

Thanks, it is a well built car. Was one of those deals you can't pass up. I actually grew up in Beaver. Maybe this year I will actually make time to get over to the cruise. I still store cars in a garage right behind the Courthouse in downtown Beaver. Maybe see you there, Ken

plan on it. it's a great show.My family was from Beaver Falls. I'll keep an eye out for that '68, and this is mine.
PTDC0003.JPG

The can that is in the picture above is a a body or truck ebody or later model B body would not be smooth

The 70 and up B body can or collet is the same as the A body or truck can. The longer ribbed can is E body only.

So who here can tell me what the application is for the short tuff wheel can? I now have two of them. Also included a pic showing the standard one for comparison.

short tuff wheel adapter 2 inch pic 2.jpg short tuff wheel adapter 2 inch.jpg short tuff wheel adapter.jpg short tuff wheel adapter.jpg

I have never seen one of those,but I could guess the maybe they are for F body Aspen /Volare,or later Magnum /Mirada?

Could that be a C body rim blow can?

Some truck cans don't have a master spline, but still can be used.

Thanks for all the advice here. I actually ended up purchasing the Grant adapter at Summit. Very thin piece, but works great. I'm a big guy so want to keep as much distance from the steering wheel as possible. Will try & post some pictures tonight.
See ya, Ken

I would be interested in one of them as my car has a bar in it and that distance may be what I could use to get the wheel in a better position... Your PM box is full.
Sorry I didn't realise it was full, lol. PM away please!

Auto Transport Service
Back