• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turbo Action shifter vs others?

ohiokm

Local time
4:58 AM
Reaction score
I've always wondered and want to ask...why do soo many Mopar guys run the Turbo Action Cheetah shifter? I've always run the B&M Pro Ratchet shifter in my GM street/strip cars with great success. 727 tranny set up in my 64

Turbo action is high end shifter. Top quality. Go look at real race cars and see what they are using.

Yes the BM shifter works for many folks.

I had a cheetah in my 62, and it is a quality, solid shifter. Indestructible. However, if I wasn't paying enough attention, I could shift my reverse manual body from first to third.
So, I got a shift pattern change kit for it and moved it to my power glide car with a forward pattern transbrake body. It worked excellent in that application.
I replaced it in the 62 with a pro ratchet, and I loved it. Tho only way to miss a shift was to push the lever the wrong way (been there, done that too.)
I like the pro ratchet enough that I bought another one for the new car.
Considering current prices, I would absolutely buy a winters right now, for a Mopar. Indestructible 50 year old design , and a rear entry cable.
( winters essentially the same shifter as a the T/A, $219 vs $535 at summit. Don't tell anybody.)

Last edited:
Ran a Winters shifter in my 66 Valiant in the early 70’s, never any problems.

I never liked the rachet shifters, since I couldn't tell what gear they were in. Most folks were fine with them, not me. I got a B&M Pro Stick (I think). Very short lever, gate style for my reverse manual valve bodies. It's gate allowed pulling the reverse feature to go from 3rd to reverse. I welded a stop in the gate to prevent it from going past neutral into reverse. Normally I used the normal gate to drop down into neutral then reverse. I still run that shifter today. Short move from 1 to 2, pull up on the shift tee for 3rd. Simple, and I know where I am. Don't know if they make a similar product today. The Cheetah shifter is similar in that the 1 to 2 shift hits the gate stop, sideways shifter movement allows the shift into 3rd.

I have a Precision Performance shifter in my car. A whack of the handle for each shift. Lockouts prevent it from going any further than 3rd.

0502201451.jpg

I have a Precision Performance shifter in my car. A whack of the handle for each shift. Lockouts prevent it from going any further than 3rd.

View attachment 1219877
Outside of maybe an M&M.......the PPP is hands down the best shifter out there in todays day and age.....the Turbo Action was more of a 80's to early 2000's type shifter in my opinion.

I've used a lot of different shifters. Never liked the Cheetah. Too easy to go 1st-3rd. Some ratchets are real sticky. My street car has a B&M Quicksilver. Works great. Easy to use. Then you get some modern stuff it's complicated for park and reverse. For racing I'm a push button guy.
Doug

I've used a lot of different shifters. Never liked the Cheetah. Too easy to go 1st-3rd. Some ratchets are real sticky. My street car has a B&M Quicksilver. Works great. Easy to use. Then you get some modern stuff it's complicated for park and reverse. For racing I'm a push button guy.
Doug
I have never used the shifter from Mark Micke but I do use the PPP and reverse and park are simple, the B&M Pro Stick is one that I would say sucks getting it into reverse.

M& M shifters arent made for a torqueflite. Only power glides and turbo 400

Last edited:
Cable comes in from the rear with the TA. Way less issues with protecting the cable. If the 1st to 3rd thing is an issue run the forward pattern gate with a reverse valve body. I have one in my dart that way and it works great.

Myself I use and like the B & M Pro Stick as its a simple shifter to use and I can easily shift into reverse with one hand. I am not a fan of ratchet shifters and the Pro Stick is a nice not to pricey easy to use shifter. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back