• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn Signal / Brake Light issue

dart14

Local time
9:55 AM
Reaction score
When the brakes are applied, the brake light bulbs and all turn signal bulbs light up. When the brakes are applied and the turn signal is activated, the brake bulbs light up, all the turn signal bulbs light up, and the selected left or right turn signal bulbs flash. When the flashers are activated, all the appropriate bulbs light up but do not flash. All bulbs are bright enough and all work. I see no obvious ground issues at the bulb sockets. 1969 Coronet 500. thanks

When the brakes are applied, the brake light bulbs and all turn signal bulbs light up. When the brakes are applied and the turn signal is activated, the brake bulbs light up, all the turn signal bulbs light up, and the selected left or right turn signal bulbs flash. When the flashers are activated, all the appropriate bulbs light up but do not flash. All bulbs are bright enough and all work. I see no obvious ground issues at the bulb sockets. 1969 Coronet 500. thanks
Sounds like a weak flasher unit.

I had an issue similar to this. I was able to track it down to the turn signal switch either being too tight or loose. I put a mirror behind my car and tightened the screw to where everything was working correctly. For me, the right amount of torque on the turn signal switch was the key. Good luck!!

Do you guys read? Everything works except the flashers. That means all the bulbs, wiring, turn flasher, and turn signal switch is doing its job. When he puts the flashers on the bulbs illuminate but do not flash. That means the switch is working but the flasher is not breaking contact.

I have a similar but different issue with mine. One brake light is out on one side, the signal on the other side is inop while the dash light for the working signal is inop. All blubs work! Studying the wiring schematic, everything goes back to the signal switch.
I was able to track it down to the turn signal switch either being too tight or loose. For me, the right amount of torque on the turn signal switch was the key. Good luck!!
What screw? Mine's held on by a push type washer looking clip.

I have a similar but different issue with mine. One brake light is out on one side, the signal on the other side is inop while the dash light for the working signal is inop. All blubs work! Studying the wiring schematic, everything goes back to the signal switch.

What screw? Mine's held on by a push type washer looking clip.
My 69 roadrunner has a threaded screw through the center to secure it.

Do you guys read? Everything works except the flashers. That means all the bulbs, wiring, turn flasher, and turn signal switch is doing its job. When he puts the flashers on the bulbs illuminate but do not flash. That means the switch is working but the flasher is not breaking contact.
I’m not reading his issue as the flashers being the only problem. Maybe I’m wrong. And yes, I read.

My 69 roadrunner has a threaded screw through the center to secure it.
With all the similarities between makes and models of Mopars, why would the A100 be different? I know you can't answer that, but still?

Yep. I can read just fine. Like it's been said, turn signal switch can be the problem.

With all the similarities between makes and models of Mopars, why would the A100 be different? I know you can't answer that, but still?
Now that I think more about it, I believe I’m thinking of the turn signal lever attaching screw might be where I adjusted the torque. I think you are right about this and my roadrunner could be the same as your A100.

Now that I think more about it, I believe I’m thinking of the turn signal lever attaching screw might be where I adjusted the torque. I think you are right about this and my roadrunner could be the same as your A100.
Pictures can help answer questions real quick!

Yep. I can read just fine. Like it's been said, turn signal switch can be the problem.
Not when he states this[[[[[[[[[When the flashers are activated, all the appropriate bulbs light up but do not flash.]]]]]]] All the contacts have been made and everything is doing its job. Except the flasher.

I’m not reading his issue as the flashers being the only problem. Maybe I’m wrong. And yes, I read.
Just reread what he said. Sure sounds like the flashers not flashing is the only problem. Everything else functions except the flashing of the flashers. They light up just do not flash.

Just reread what he said. Sure sounds like the flashers not flashing is the only problem. Everything else functions except the flashing of the flashers. They light up just do not flash.
Maybe the OP will put a new flasher in then we will know if you are correct.

I see a bit of grey matter in the OP's post.
"When the brakes are applied, the brake light bulbs and all turn signal bulbs light up." What does this mean? The front turn lights come on too? Dash turn lights too? In the rear the brake lights and the turn signals use the same elements in the bulbs.
"When the brakes are applied and the turn signal is activated, the brake bulbs light up, all the turn signal bulbs light up, and the selected left or right turn signal bulbs flash." Again which turn signal bulbs?

Have to agree, the described issue, as described, can only be a flasher problem. Keep in mind, for ’69, there are two flashers, one for turn signal and another for the 4-way/emergency flashing lights. Sounds like turn signal flasher is working and the emergency flasher is not working.

There is no ground circuit involved with the turn signal switch, no ground to check at the switch.

Maybe the OP will put a new flasher in then we will know if you are correct.
Guess we will not know until he tries a new flasher and posts back. My main reason for be adamant on the flasher is that it seems relevant and is the cheapest and easiest thing to try.

thanks for the replies - I will try to get back to troubleshooting tonight or tomorrow as home repairs are taking priority right now. Regarding all the turn signal bulbs light up when the brakes are applied - the rear, the dash, the front (yellows in the bumper) and the fender mounted . If I wasn't clear in describing the issue earlier A) If the vehicle is in park in the driveway and the turn signal lever is activated, all the turn signals work as they should. B) when the brake is applied, the brake lights illuminate along with all of the turn signal lights. C) When the emergency flashers switch is activated, all of the lights come on but don't flash

update - installed a new hazard flasher tonight. Hazard flasher works fine and all lights flash. However, the turn signal lights still illuminate when the brake is depressed

Auto Transport Service
Back