• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn Signal Issue

The Rebel

Local time
6:05 PM
Reaction score
Noticed that my lower passenger turn signal bulb does not flash when I have the signal on. I've switched out bulbs to make sure they work correctly.

The passenger hood signal is working as is both the lower drivers side & hood signal.

When I have the running lights on the lower passenger turn signal bulb is on so I know I have power.

Not sure what's going on, ground issue, bad turn signal relay?

May have a bad contact on the blub. If all the light's work with the blinker switch then it has to be in the light socket. Count out the flasher if all the other ones are working.

Ground. Either the housing itself, or the bulb socket to housing crimps.

Make sure all sockets are clean then go for the grounds. Grounds are usually the problem...

Thanks guys! I did clean the bulb contacts, as well as the main power connector line to the light. I also cleaned out the socket as best I could but it probably could use a better cleaning deeper down.

Any good suggestions how to do that or is it easier to dissemble the entire spring loaded housing?

Thanks guys! I did clean the bulb contacts, as well as the main power connector line to the light. I also cleaned out the socket as best I could but it probably could use a better cleaning deeper down.

Any good suggestions how to do that or is it easier to dissemble the entire spring loaded housing?
If it's corroded......a new one is best but if you don't have a new one or a better one, use a small wire brush to get it as good as possible then treat it with a rust/corrosion inhibitor. I like to dry it out afterwards and then use a dielectric grease in the socket before inserting a new bulb.

I spray WD-40 on ALL electrical stuff - improves contact and preserves/resists corrosion.

Thanks guy's I'll get some WD-40 & report back.

If you ohm out the bulb socket base to the housing, you will be able to tell if that connection is compromised. That is the area I was alluding to earlier. Those 2 parts are held together with a couple of wings bents over. This is how the ground travels to the bulb. Just mentioned this because I went through the same problem area on a Charger. If you have corrosion in the socket, there is a good chance it is there as well.

If it's corroded......a new one is best but if you don't have a new one or a better one, use a small wire brush to get it as good as possible then treat it with a rust/corrosion inhibitor. I like to dry it out afterwards and then use a dielectric grease in the socket before inserting a new bulb.
Dremel make a small wire wheel which I've used to clean all mine - similar issues with ground. Cranky is correct, dielectric grease for sure.

I have this same problem. Even switched the entire turn signal light assembly with another real nice one I had and it still doesn't work.

Mystery solved! Gave the socket a shot of WD-40 this am but still no improvement. When I had all of the flashers on noticed that the drivers side side flashed quicker than the passenger side. Also could hear the flasher click differently fast, slow, fast, slow.

Pulled the flasher out & then re-inserted. Now everything now worked as it should. Turns out there was some slight corrosion on the flasher tabs. So cleaned them up with my dermal wire brush to make them all shiny again.

Looks to be original flasher unit. Thanks everyone for your help!
20210603_071606.jpg
20210603_071637.jpg

Original flashers are/were metallic. Thats a later replacement. But works the same just being a plastic housing and no need for the bracket, since the stud would fit in place of the bracket.

Be careful with the dielectric grease too much will gound everything out.

Thanks I skipped the dielectric grease.
From Boogle.....
Micromovements wear through metal coatings into the base material that then oxidize, eventually creating an open connecting and ultimately, power failure or signal loss. However, unless a dielectric lubricant is applied, the connector will continue to wear and will eventually oxidize and corrode.

But like 440 Charger said, don't goop it in there. I've used WD 40 too but mostly as a mild cleaner. Being as light as it is, it does dry out over time and it does displace water/moisture.

Auto Transport Service
Back