• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn signal lane change operation

Mike Szadaj

Local time
8:36 AM
Reaction score
I had to replace the turn signal switch on my 68 RT. The new switch does not allow me to turn off the left or right signal manually. The only way I can get the switch back to the neutral position is by turning the steering wheel. I posted the following quote because the switch looks like my replacement, except for the hazard switch. You can see 2 parts of the yellow cam that look like the figure 1 (one a mirror image). When you turn the lever, the barb at the head of one of those (depending on which way you are turning) acts as a "lock", preventing you from canceling the signal manually. Has anyone had this problem with replacement switches?

Had a similar issue when rebuilding my 70 column on the B about 2 years ago. Drove me crazy until I compared the wiring connection at the hazard block on the new switch to my old one. Wasn't even close. Ordered turn signal switch for a 70 but I'm not so sure all or most of the switches sold are for 71+ models. I didn't care that the hazard knob was different as I drilled out the rivets, swapped pull knob, and riveted back together.
What I found later was that the wires are hooked up opposite on that block from the original. I believe I called the vendor and was told they are all the same. I carefully drilled the copper rivets that held the wire ends in place to remove, then swapped wires end to end. There is a connector strap on one side that needed rotated before gently hammering new copper rivets into the wire ends to reconnect. That fixed my problem, not saying that's the same issue you have but worth looking into.
In this pic the solid looking rivets are the places that had to be switched over. This is the finished job.

807607-891c7f15dcec39d55bbae6b20d4ad80f.jpg

Provide you have the correct replacement switch, and have correctly installed it, you may just need some grease for lubrication.

Plastic on plastic makes for a lot of friction.

Just thinking here, but is the actuator on the steering wheel centered in the switch

The heavy curly cue wire approximately 1/4" in diameter.

My OE (top) and the way a replacement was received (bottom), requiring the wire to be smacked a few times into center.
beerestoration2018 1351.JPG
beerestoration2018 1352.JPG

That would only affect whether the self cancel feature would work or not. The turn signal can not be manually canceled even with the steering wheel off the column.

I just bit the bullet in the end and paid $$$'s for a true NOS switch. My first "NOS" replacement mechanism fell apart after 8 actuation'.

Maybe a film of silicone paste?

Auto Transport Service
Back