• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn signal not cancelling

69 R/T

Local time
3:31 AM
Reaction score
I just installed a new OER turn signal switch/harness, which went in and functions flawlessly. However, it does not cancel in either direction. The previous low budget unit I had in there cancelled fine, but was super stiff and not anything like factory, and it just didn't work correctly in the electric circuit.

The OER unit is very smooth and feels like an OEM unit. I pulled the steering wheel off again just to see what's what and I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

Mine won't either, I was thinking of trying another wheel just in case mines missing something.

I just installed a new OER turn signal switch/harness, which went in and functions flawlessly. However, it does not cancel in either direction. The previous low budget unit I had in there cancelled fine, but was super stiff and not anything like factory, and it just didn't work correctly in the electric circuit.

The OER unit is very smooth and feels like an OEM unit. I pulled the steering wheel off again just to see what's what and I can't figure it out. Any ideas?
Is the cancel ring in the correct position...or even there?

Is the cancel ring in the correct position...or even there?

Looks similar to this.
Screenshot_20190125-163150.jpg

Yes, the cancelling pin in in the base of the wheel. The old switch would cancel, so I suspect there is possibly a flaw with the OER unit or some other reason why the pin does not contact the canceling cam.

Yes, the cancelling pin in in the base of the wheel. The old switch would cancel, so I suspect there is possibly a flaw with the OER unit or some other reason why the pin does not contact the canceling cam.
Have you got pictures of the old and new switches to post up - makes diagnosis help a whole lot easier.

Sounds like your "ears" have snapped off, or are the wrong shape to catch the "pin". My OE and the $9 old stock replacement I snagged off Ebay. Ears not quite the same shape as he OE, but it worked fine.
beerestoration2018 1679.JPG

20190125_144856.jpg
20190125_144910.jpg
20190125_144935.jpg
20190125_145007.jpg
This is a brand new unit out of the box. Here's some comparative photos. The white one is from OET and the yellow one I bought from another vendor on eBay for half the price. That one is very stiff, but it did cancel.

Ears are definitely a different shape than (at least my) OE, but if one worked and the other didn't?? could it be that wheel pin that appears to be heavily worn and/or deformed? Here's where I got my replacement plate and used my OE backing plate with.
beerestoration2018 1653.JPG

Just hate that “subtle” stuff. OE drawings have to be out there.

Same problem but easy fix. Put the switch in one turn position. Now look at the long yellow lever. Eyeball the metal plate holding the switch in. The inner edge of the fat yellow lever should be flush with the edge of the hole in the metal plate. If it won't cancel it is because the yellow lever is not setting close enough to the shaft as I stated above. Now just push on the large yellow lever near where it is moulded into the switch. It looks like a "W" with the large lever, small lever and main body of the switch. You are trying to deform the plastic so the lever end is flush with the hole in the metal plate (closer to the center shaft). That ensures the canceling pin in the wheel will hit the lever when it is in the turn position. Now the other turn position and repeat. It does not take much.

Thanks for that tip, Jim. I'll give it a try next time I'm feeling adventuresome about pulling that steering wheel off..... again.

With this thread popping back up... be advised that replacement plate I bought and used fell apart on about the 10th use and I had to pull everything apart and replaced it with an NOS $$$ turn switch.... as I never want to do it again.

Update. I ran a match near where I wanted to bend it to heat the plastic to make sure it took the bend and did not return to it original position. All reassembled and working great

I installed the part from Classic and all went well, but now that it's all back together the seems to be no contact between the plastic cam and the steering wheel pin, the part that rotates with the steering wheel. I'll use your picture not my steering wheel, but the same part.
20190125_145007.jpg

So no contact between this pin and my cancel switch. Any suggestions?

Auto Transport Service
Back