• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turning over the engine by "hand"

71newp

Local time
10:06 AM
Reaction score
I want to check/set the air gap (reluctor to dist pickup) on a '76 360. What size socket is needed to attach to the front of the engine (balancer/crank) so I can turn the crank to get a tooth to be in the proper spot? Do I need to only turn it clockwise?
Thanks,
Tim

If you have a balancer bolt you should know what socket you need? Just measure the bolt.

Why don't you just loosen the dist hold down and rotate the housing?

MUCH easier.

Why don't you just loosen the dist hold down and rotate the housing?

MUCH easier.
I agree that it would be much easier to check the gap that way, but I would need to get it back in the exact same spot after I measured the gap. Is there an easy way to do that? I have very little background in this... sorry if this is a dumb question.

If you have a balancer bolt you should know what socket you need? Just measure the bolt.
That's more work than I would bother with. Why not just put a socket on it. If it's too big, go down one size or vice versa till you find the right one.

I agree that it would be much easier to check the gap that way, but I would need to get it back in the exact same spot after I measured the gap. Is there an easy way to do that? I have very little background in this... sorry if this is a dumb question.
Just bump the ignition like we did when adjusting the dwell (point gap).

Timing light. Check your timing before doing this then adjust your timing accordingly afterwards.

To put the housing back exactly cut a small piece of masking tape maybe 1/8" by 1 1/2" and place it on the housing and the block pressing it down firmly. Then with a sharp blade slice the tape where the block meets the housing. You can put it back exactly this way. Just line the edge of the tape up.

Remember this is a small block. He will be doing good to see the distributor base alone putting masking tap on it or using a sharpy.
And remember to use a brass feeler gauge or you will not get a correct setting.

Really? I assumed this was a B body. Tons of room back there.

Auto Transport Service
Back