• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB Two-Groove Water Pump Pulley for 383

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasco

Local time
1:20 AM
Reaction score
EDIT: I corrected the ask for a single to a double after further investigation:

Hey all, I’m working on getting the accessories figured and it seems I need a double-groove water pump pulley for my 383 - I’m running alternator and power steering only. The single pulley on the alternator lines up with the inner pulley on the crank, the power steering lines up with the outer pulley on the crank. The dual groove pulley for the water pump that I have has a six inch outer pulley and a 5.5 inch inner pulley, but the inner pulley hits the water pump bolts. Maybe a dual groove water pump pulley with two six-inch diameter pulleys and use smaller water pump bolt heads?

IMG_5121-1.jpg

Last edited:
Got a clean original one. Will need blasted and painted as only the part seen was painted by someone inside still appears to be original paint.. $40 plus shipping.. Coast to coast would be $16 Med. Flat Rate box..

DSCN2442.JPG DSCN2443.JPG DSCN2444.JPG

Thanks. I put the power steering pump in and it seems I need a dual groove pulley. The one I already have has a six inch outer pulley and a 5.5 inch inner pulley. The inner pulley hits the water pump bolts. Since the power steering lines up with the outer pulley, and the alternator lines up with the inner pulley, I guess I need a two groove water pump pulley with two six inch diameter rather than the stepped. I'm appreciate the offer - I didn't think the alternator and the power steering would use different pulleys. I'm working with another FBBO member who seems to have many variations, so hopefully what I need exists! Thanks again!

I might have found one that will work - I’ll update on Tuesday

If this is a NON A/C car, the crank has 2 grooves but the fan pulley has one. The fan, alternator and crank share one belt, the P/S and crank is another belt.

If this is a NON A/C car, the crank has 2 grooves but the fan pulley has one. The fan, alternator and crank share one belt, the P/S and crank is another belt.
Yup the roadrunner has a single groove water pump pulley and a 2 groove crank pulley. Non AC..

IMG_4471.JPG

Pulley 4.jpg

This is the arrangement that I have seen on NON A/C cars with power steering.

Agree with Kerndog above....power steering runs directly to the crank pulley and the fan and alternator run to the water pump pulley and he crank pulley.

Thanks. I put the power steering pump in and it seems I need a dual groove pulley. The one I already have has a six inch outer pulley and a 5.5 inch inner pulley. The inner pulley hits the water pump bolts. Since the power steering lines up with the outer pulley, and the alternator lines up with the inner pulley, I guess I need a two groove water pump pulley with two six inch diameter rather than the stepped. I'm appreciate the offer - I didn't think the alternator and the power steering would use different pulleys. I'm working with another FBBO member who seems to have many variations, so hopefully what I need exists! Thanks again!
Just an FYI. A double groove water pump pulley is an A/C pulley. My pulley is for Big block with Power steering and alternator OR just manual steering and an alternator. You must have mismatched brackets if you end up needing a double water pump pulley....

Sorry I see other replied already with the same correct information.. I did not scroll down.

Just an FYI. A double groove water pump pulley is an A/C pulley. My pulley is for Big block with Power steering and alternator OR just manual steering and an alternator. You must have mismatched brackets if you end up needing a double water pump pulley....

Sorry I see other replied already with the same correct information.. I did not scroll down.
I happen to have a non A/C 383 that came originally with a 2 groove pulley. One is goes to the steering pump, the other to the Alternator. To the OP...I have a brand new on that is correct for a 383 that I will let go for very little as I need it gone. PM if interested...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

I happen to have a non A/C 383 that came originally with a 2 groove pulley. One is goes to the steering pump, the other to the Alternator. To the OP...I have a brand new on that is correct for a 383 that I will let go for very little as I need it gone. PM if interested...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:
Can u post a few pics and part number and year? Thanks. Kim

PM sent!

I happen to have a non A/C 383 that came originally with a 2 groove pulley. One is goes to the steering pump, the other to the Alternator. To the OP...I have a brand new on that is correct for a 383 that I will let go for very little as I need it gone.

For the sake of learning new things, would you mind telling the year, make and model of the car the 2 groove pulley came on? I have never seen one on a 383 with A/C. I am NOT calling you a liar, I am sure there are combinations of pulleys that I have not yet seen.

I am NOT calling you a liar
I see you had directed that at the other guy. However, to be totally honest:
I should have provided more info: the engine is from a ‘64 Polara, and at some point, I also had another 383 from (I think) a 69 New Yorker and I’m not sure which set of pulleys I kept! My car was originally a 383 four barrel with A/C, but that’s irrelevant and I shouldn’t have mentioned it. My apologies.
I’m trying out a different two-groove pulley tomorrow, but the guy doesn’t think it will work with a two-groove crank pulley.

Last edited:
A friend dug through a pile of pulleys he had and came up with a winner! Mine on the left with the smaller diameter inner pulley that hit the water pump bolts and the new one with equal sized pulleys. Sure enough, the larger diameter inner pulley leaves enough room for the water pump bolts (440Source aluminum). The part number on the new pulley is 38979 and a really tall, skinny 17

2463650C-D72F-425B-B61D-366863B2D3BD.jpeg 5B3262D0-7ECE-4216-AA0D-989809821459.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back