• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two types of wire

steve from staten island

Local time
4:27 PM
Reaction score
I am installing #8 running from my alternator to a junction post and then #12 fusible to the starter solenoid. One piece of #8 I got from a electrical supply house. Its stranded but does not have that many stands and its not as flexible.
The other wire states on it "power/gtround" is very flexible and has many strands.
Resembles the way wire rope is made
What would you use? Thanks

Steve, Here's some pictures of the 8 gauge wire I used, it is a very rigid wire. got it a NAPA.

IMG_0500.JPG IMG_0501.JPG

Steve, Here's some pictures of the 8 gauge wire I used, it is a very rigid wire. got it a NAPA.

View attachment 797982 View attachment 797983
thanks Moe. The wire I got has lots of strands. What it looks like is 6 or more larger strands made up of many smaller ones.
I thought the more strands the better. It is very flexible. I just wonder if its ok to use

Hi,

The higher strand content bends and crimps easier. It is more expensive. There are some performance attributes, but they do not come into play with DC circuits. (think high end audio cables heheh) If you can't find what you like locally, check out this place, I've had good results with them:
http://www.bestboatwire.com/marine-wire/marine-battery-cable

thanks Moe. The wire I got has lots of strands. What it looks like is 6 or more larger strands made up of many smaller ones.
I thought the more strands the better. It is very flexible. I just wonder if its ok to use

Yes it is OK to use that wire.

I always thought more strands the better? Welding cable has fine strands.
I got some #8 with fine strands. I just read were high strands are better and also #8 is adequate for my alternator. I should have known about the welding cable, its all fine strands ...Thanks
Yes it is OK to use that wire.
Thanks Moe

I always thought more strands the better? Welding cable has fine strands.

I have some ancient welding cables converted to jumper cables. 1,000 years old and seem like they're gonna last a thousand more, supple as day one. All the best battery cables on the cars were superfine stranded too.

More important is what the insulation is rated for in terms of usage, and also meeting the temperature requirements the insulation is likely to encounter.
Unlikely an average electrical cable from an contractor type supply meet the requirements,but I have used such type cables in the past. automotive stuff has there own code compared to buildings, but I do know the temp ratings are generally not up to the job unless your ordering more expensive conductors.

I am installing #8 running from my alternator to a junction post and then #12 fusible to the starter solenoid. One piece of #8 I got from a electrical supply house. Its stranded but does not have that many stands and its not as flexible.
The other wire states on it "power/gtround" is very flexible and has many strands.
Resembles the way wire rope is made
What would you use? Thanks

Without knowing the type, or seeing it, if the wire that says power and ground is more likely automotive or marine. If the insulation seems tough enough, use that one. Keep your eye on the insulation until your confident the insulation is holding up to the temperature.

What he said.
I don't worry to much about flexibility in this application. It's in and done.
Look up current ratings for each size and go from there

I suspect what you have is THHN wire.
If so it is oil and gas resistant but not as high temp as automotive cross linked which I think is 125 Celsius.
Most of your auto part store wire is also not high temp as well.
I've used THHN and found the outer nylon (?)
clear cover will degrade over time in an engine compartment.
But it does work ok.

The coarse wire will break off if used in a high vibration environment.

Auto Transport Service
Back