• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Typical Restoration

mpgmike

Local time
3:30 AM
Reaction score
From my own experience, coupled with observations of the plight of others, I have concluded that there is a prevailing trend when it comes to acquiring a classic car. It starts like this:

“Hey guys, just bought the car of my dreams! I figure I’ll give it an oil change, a tune-up, and replace the front tires, then drive it. …

… Well, when I pulled the plugs to do the tune-up, one was mangled!! [attach pic] I did a compression test and have 10 psi on cylinder 3. I thought about building a 360 for it, I guess this convinced me. Now to find a good core…

… Got a motor home 360, sent it off to the machine shop to do a 408 stoker. Meanwhile, I pulled the front tires to haul them to the local tire shop for replacements. When I pulled them, I couldn’t help but notice there was massive play in all directions. Ball joints, tie-rod ends, and bushings really need replaced. Guess I’ll do that while the engine is being built. …

… Got the engine back from the machine shop. Man does it look awesome!! [attach pic] I pulled the old motor and realized the tranny was leaking from both front and rear. Furthermore, jerking the driveshaft back & forth showed bad U-joints AND about 30 degrees of slop in the rear!! Time to do that Ford 8.8 swap! …

… My Wuxi headers are interfering with the drag link and don’t quite clear the starter. I guess I’ll list them for sale and order a set from …

… While pulling the tranny, I noticed the floor boards were worse than I thought. I wonder how long it takes to get new sheet metal from AMD?’ …

…Since I had to pull the seats to replace the floors, I couldn’t bear to put that ragged interior back in. So I placed an order with …

… I sure hated to cut up that new AMD floor pan, but to use the Tremek 5-speed, it had to be done. Here are a few pics of the process …

… Really pleased with the new exhaust system. My local shop said …

… Got the new rear back. Figured I’d drain & recondition the fuel tank while I was under there. In fact, the gas gauge wasn’t working so I may as well…

… OK, the driver’s side rear quarter is done, now to repeat the process on the other side …

… Got my interior back from the upholstery shop. Pulled the dash and realized the wiring harness is trash! Got a new one ordered…

… Frame connectors … 17” wheels & tires … Color change to Plum Crazy Purple … Rechromed the ___ … Why is my Projection EFI cutting out at 6500 RPM? …

Am I too far off???

Sounds about right. My first pass at age 16 on a 67’ Mustang went that way. Luckily at now (50) I learned and for the 68’ Coronet I just did for my son I took it to the bones day 1. Expensive, yes, but it sure is nice to be driving and just fighting some minor coolant leaks here and there versus component tear out.

Not far off at all but you forgot…… now it’s sitting on jack stands, the 3-legged type for sure, waiting on……….oh and now I have more time than money. GREAT, now I have more money than time.

Dam, this stuff is still fun. Good story mpgmike!

Right.

... I'll be pouring the floor for the extended garage on Saturday...

About right: got mine for $1200, gutted but majority there in boxes & in trunk: no engine & trans, so knew it would take work. Divorce, taking care of mom/dad with their house & extreme OT at work didn't help timline, but getting closer. Motor shop, trans shop & body/paint guy were great working with me. Painted, motor/trans in, runs!!!

Outside, no garage kinda puts work on back burner during bad weather.

No paint jail?

That's how I picked my user name. Thought I bought a restored car.

Dodging tornados not helping you for sure!!
Went to OKC last summer, saw memorial, small chairs hurt (I have 3 grandkids in KC, KS): Didn't make it to Moore to see how ya'll recovered.

20200513_201201.jpg

1st batch left, 2nd batch on right

"While we are at it"

Most dangerous words in home renovations (and, obviously car ownership).

Auto Transport Service
Back