• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

U joint choices.

Canadian1968

Local time
12:10 AM
Reaction score
I'm finding myself taking my 68 charger to the track more and more.

My best time currently is 12.58 and running slicks. The u-joints I currently have in the car have grease fitting in them. I have heard that a few people say this is a weak link in the drive train if you are racing the car. I tried doing a bit of research but go confused with what would be a better U-joint without the grease fitting? I kept seeing the number 1310 show up . But when I did search I am finding that 1310 seems to be series not a specific part number. my question is can anyone share and exact make/ model of U-joint they are using. ??

The car has the factory 727 and factory 8 3/4 rear diff.

Thanks!!

Spicer or Moog solid. 7260 Or 7290. Spicer 1310 is not stock and is commonly used as a crossover joint between Mopar shafts and spicer yokes.

1330, 1350, 7260, and 7290 all used by Mopar over the years.

Your 68, 8 3/4 should be a 7290.

Last edited:
For something that gets beat on, the non-greasable u-joints are reputed to be a little tougher
due to not having the grease cavities.
Whether your (beautiful!) Charger has the 7260 or 7290-series u-joints depends on if it was a HP/big block car from the factory or not (assuming no changes to the driveline).
If you do have the 7290 series, Spicer #5-811X is the u-joint to use.

thanks for the info guys. I will have to crawl under it and find out which ones I have. Its been to long since I put them in ( 6 years now ) Although they probably only have 3000 km on them my understanding is the the weakness is from the center being hollowed out for the grease passages. A relative cheap replacement for a bit of safety

If it's the original stuff, just look at the rear center casting# (last 3 digits)....742 will have the 7290, 741 will have the smaller 7260.
Of course, measuring is always fool-proof!

This u-joint is in between your u-joint and the one I posted earlier. the grease fitting is in the end of cup. It is much better than your u-joint and grease able, need a special tip for your grease gun.

Auto Transport Service
Back