• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

U-Joints, Moog, AC Delco, SKF, GMB?

JR_Charger

Local time
10:30 AM
Reaction score
Quick question - in this day of supply shortages and bad parts, which one of these brands would you go with?

Long question - follow my logic as I try to figure out which u-joint I need -

I have a 318/904/8 1/4 72 Charger.

Looking at the choices on Rock Auto - Link

I see the u-joints are determined by either the "bearing cap size" or the "outside diameter yoke span."

My bearing cap size is close to 1 1/16", which is 1.0625, so that means the 1.078" u-joints should work.

I'm not sure what "outside diameter yoke span" is. I measured my slip yoke -

driveshaft-07-slip-yoke-size-01.jpg

driveshaft-07-slip-yoke-size-02.jpg

I've got a 2 1/8" inside diameter, and there are a couple 2 1/8" or 2.125" outside diameter yoke options.

It seems likely the 1 1/8" bearing cap size and 2 5/8" outside diameter yoke u-joints are for more powerful cars than what I've got. The 1.078, 2.125 outside diameter yoke u-joints should be the ones I need?

If you car is completely stock with the 904 tranny you should have the smaller 7260 Dana/Spicer U joint.Common with 904's of that year.
Chrysler used that joint. Just use that number when internet shopping.The Heavy Duty is a 7290 mostly found with the 727 automatic transmission.
We won't go into manual trans or other body styles since you have a 72 Charger 318/904.

As far as "brand" goes, I'm not sure if that makes any difference. I would check origin of manufacturing.

I agree with wileE but spicer is where I’d be looking.

Summit, and a few other places, have the Spicer 5-789X. It appears to be the same as the 7260.

Here's a greasable version - Link

The greasable version is a little cheaper, but isn't it the better version? I'll get the greasable one unless there's some reason not to.

Well, I never had a problem,but the theory is the greasable have a hollow cross section that "May" make them weaker than the solid cross .

Spicer is quality stuff although some of them for our Mopar's are made offshore now.

Well, I never had a problem,but the theory is the greasable have a hollow cross section that "May" make them weaker than the solid cross .

I doubt it matters either way. My 318 isn't going to break the greasable unit. I don't know how much power the stock drive shaft is good for, but I imagine if I make a big increase I'll have to upgrade it. That will happen before I wear out the grease in the sealed joints.

Consider a solid u-joint
When I twisted the driveshaft out of my Charger
The u-joint clearly fractured along the grease line
This cost me a lot of money in parts
(new driveshaft, new yokes, new differential, new exhaust, new electric cut-outs)
I ultimately upgraded to solid 1350 Joints

O.K., how much power were you making? How did it damage the diff?

O.K., how much power were you making? How did it damage the diff?
Not a lot of power as I was on the dyno preparing for my first run and let go at about 3500 RPM
I suspect the the U-joint was bad even though it was new (less than 500 miles on it)
Both yokes was broke and had to be replaced
The differential was noisy before but much worse after the accident,
I suspect we somehow changed the pinion set when changing the yoke
but rather than mess with it I replaced it with one under warranty

IMG_20201012_172613689_HDR.jpg

Well that's terrifying. I managed to gouge the edges of my drive shaft yokes when I was cleaning them. Here's the worst one -

driveshaft-05-slip-yoke-damage-01.jpg

I've been told not to worry about it, but now I'm worried about it.

driveshaft-03-slip-yoke-rust-01.jpg

I have a modified 440 with a lot more torque and HP then your 318
I doubt yours will be a problem however piece of mind is worth $100
slip joint yokes are about $100 at Doctor Diff

In the past I would have thought nothing of that
I would have used it
but now that I have been burned I would replace it

I use non greaseable ones too after hearing they are stronger.
I recently ordered some Spicer's from Denny's driveshafts. In the past they have been marked "Spicer" although this time they had no markings.
So who knows, they are probably all the same now anyway.

Get some Spicers. Made in USA and will be fine for your car. Greaseable or not really don't matter your 318 is not going to break them.

Auto Transport Service
Back