• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

U.S. Car Tool Lower Radiator Support

41dodge

Local time
3:16 AM
Reaction score
Working on my 69 RoadRunner and was going to replace my lower radiator support with an AMD piece then install a U.S. Car Tool body strengthening piece and realized you had to chop up the new radiator support to install it so I modified the U.S. Car Tool piece instead. Tomorrow I'm going to weld it in then it goes on the rotisserie so I can install the rear spring relocation kit and work on the mini-tubs. Once that's done it goes in to be media blasted. Please let me know what you think. Doing all but the paint myself.

69 RoadRunner hardtop, 440, Comp Hyd roller cam, Fast fuel injection, Aluminum heads, Custom headers - ceramic coated inside and out, QA-1 K tubular member and tubular control arms, QA-1 torsion bars, Borgeson quick ratio power steering, Built 727 with Gear Vendors O/D, Vintage Air, Reilly Motorsports triangulated 4 link rear suspension, Coach wiring, power windows, Disc brakes front and rear, SS fuel tank w/ pump in tank, SS brake and fuel lines, grey glass side and rear windows w/ grey shaded windshield, 2014 Challenger front buckets and lots of other goodies.

Lower Radiator Support 1.jpg Lower Radiator Support 2.jpg Lower Radiator Support 3.jpg Lower Radiator Support 4.jpg

I welded my usct rad support on over the stock one. Someone makes a 1.5" box tube one that really looks like it would stiffen things., I have one of those also, but choose not to put it on, yet. Kinda overkill for my motor hp at present....
Sounds like you're gonna have a good setup. Love the RRs! Had several 70's back when they were only a year or two old....
Let's see your car!

I welded my usct rad support on over the stock one. Someone makes a 1.5" box tube one that really looks like it would stiffen things., I have one of those also, but choose not to put it on, yet. Kinda overkill for my motor hp at present....
Sounds like you're gonna have a good setup. Love the RRs! Had several 70's back when they were only a year or two old....
Let's see your car!

The car is still coming apart. I came down with Parkinson's Disease this spring and only recently was able to get back to working on it. Tomorrow I weld the lower support on then weld up the rotisserie mounts so I can finish up the rear bits for the Reilly rear suspension and mini tubs.

In the 60's and 70's I used to drag race Plymouths in So. Calif and helped build cars of all brands. I did a lot of welding back then too. I wish I had my old cars back. I raced at Lions, O.C.I.R, Irwindale, Pomona and a lot on the streets. That's where I made my money. I had a 64 Belvedere 426 Stage III wedge, 4 speed car that came with a decal in the glove compartment that said something like: "This vehicle is intended for exhibition of speed. No warranty is expressed or implied. Chrysler Motor Corporation."

It came with six leaves on the driver side and seven on the passenger side and a 4.11 Detroit Locker. It was the race car of the dealer's son and he was just taking possession of a new 68 Hemi RoadRunner. That thing pulled the front end off the ground when I left the lot. The salesman looked at my wife and told her, "I hope he knows there's no warranty on that car."

When I bought it, there was no back seat in the car, no heater, no radio, just motor, two bucket seats, roll cage and go. I bought a totaled 64 Sport Fury and transferred the interior and dash after removing the roll cage. I should have left it as if I really got on it, I got kicked off the tracks but I had a wife and kid and needed places for them. I paid for it in six months street racing.

IMG_0988.JPG Almost ready.JPG IMG_0987.JPG

Let's see your car!

I too welded mine to the original support, but I also drilled out the hole openings because I liked the way it looked . . .

Great story!. Why did you get kicked off the tracks? Keep us posted on the RR progress. Sorry to hear about your health, mine's not that great either so I can relate. Good vibes your way!

Last edited:
Great story!. Why did you get kicked off the tracks? Keep us posted on the RR progress. Sorry to hear about your health, mine's not that great either so I can relate. Good vibes your way!
Running too fast without a roll cage.

Finally tracked down the picture to share . . . page 22 in my build documents the process . . .

121950-abe73704a124da562b229f88ec6f19af.jpg

Your build is very similar to mine. If you need tips read through my thread. I did all the US car tool upgrade with some mods.

Auto Transport Service
Back