• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uh - oh how much???

MoparMitch

Local time
9:44 PM
Reaction score
This may be in my future. 70 'CUDA' 383 4spd car. from original owner. Numbers matching car also. No P/S no P/B . Blue on Blue. Real BS car. Knew about this car 10yrs ago but not for sale then. Now apparently the economy dictates sale. Car is mostly disassembled , but all there except exhaust manifolds and bell housing. I aint sure what its worth. PLEASE HELP with some ideas. Has been inside for 20 yrs. Has new quarters and absolutely O rust anywhere!! anywhere. Looked at it today and verified its in the same condition. Not sure if I wanted to get this deep on a new project this soon but HEY!! HELP!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0011(1).jpg
    IMG_0011(1).jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 657
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 671
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 647
What are they asking for it? Once we find out, we could decide good deal or not :)

If it's all there, that is great. I like the zero rust factor too. Is that a primer on the body which has been guide coated? If that is the case, that would scare me a bit if the owner is not a body man, or known for doing real nice bodywork. You may have already figured in stripping it down and starting over. With this economy, although it may bring more than 10k as is, I wouldn't pay much more for it. If I had to figure, I will put 15k or more in it to make it nice, little lone show. Really, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I know they are harder to get, but with this economy, when it comes time to sell them, then it's hard to sell them too. Does he have an idea of what he expects to get for it? I would be thinking for me, I'd like to pay $6500-$8500.

I would guess around $8000. with the intention of media blasting and starting from scratch. One thing to think of though is that this car and the 2nd. generation Chargers seem to be the most desirable and easiet to resell if you ever had to.

You know how much you spent on your `68. Take that number and add to it anything extra that needs to be done. Now subtract from it, anything that doesn't need to be done. This is what you will have into the car...before you buy it. How much are you willing to go over that amount? That is what it's worth to you.

If it's a car you wish to build and keep, it may be worth more to you. If it's a car you will eventually part with, it will be worth less to you. For me, unless there is sentimetal value (family heirloom, car like I had as a kid, car I always wanted, etc) I won't go over what it's end value would be once complete. I just don't have the disposable income that some others do...that or I'm just too cheap.

Also, consider what moparmusclecars mentioned about the replacement panels. Good advice if you don't know/ didn't see the work 1st hand. Saw a recent Overhaulin' show where they came across a good example of this. Car looked great. They contemplated a scuff sand and spray, but blasted it just to be sure. Turns out both(?) rear quarters were 'glued' on vice welded. Not saying this is the case, but...

I would do a thorough inventory, including all trim and attaching hardware, before making ANY offer. You know better than most how much that stuff can eat into a restoration. There can be a Big difference between the owners' claim that everything is there and what is actually still there.

I wish you luck with this venture!

how bad do you want it?.....my grandfather used to say, "find a car you LOVE!, then buy the one right next to it.....you'll get a better deal":icon_exclaim:

Sonny

My main concern with the body work done on this car (if that is what I am seeing in the pics) is that it looks like it has been primered basically everywhere. It appears that even the exhaust tips were sprayed, along with area's under the car that normally would not get primered. Seeing things like that raise my suspicions on what kind (quality) of body work was actually done. Maybe I am just a picky guy in that area since i do it for a living. I have seen far too many cars that had all the body work done, but had to all be re-done by the time I got it to work on. Just because a car is in primer doesn't mean it is straight and ready for paint. Then again, everyone's expectations may be different than mine! Have you asked what kind of money he was thinking on the car? Would you be doing all or most of the work on this car yourself? Figure what you would need to send out to have done and the cost, if you wouldn't be doing it all yourself. Then I look at what is the car worth (and what will it sell for) at the level I intended to restore it. In my mind, if this guy is at 15k as the car sits, that may be too much for what I would be thinking.

Would not touch it. I hate putting a puzzle together that is missing pieces. Especially if you never messed around with that type car and don't already have know where you can get donor parts at a reasonable price. Challengers and Cuda there is no such thing as a cheap parts dealer or junk yard.
It would have to be one of those of a deals like, " heck just get it out of my garage" type deal.

Would not touch it. I hate putting a puzzle together that is missing pieces. Especially if you never messed around with that type car and don't already have know where you can get donor parts at a reasonable price. Challengers and Cuda there is no such thing as a cheap parts dealer or junk yard.
It would have to be one of those of a deals like, " heck just get it out of my garage" type deal.

With the above statement, your inexperience may dictate missing out on a nice car at a decent price. 68ChiiiiHen has the know how and capability to put it back together better then Mamopar did. I've seen his work.

Now - to answer the task at hand.

You could do an inventory, as someone above suggested but your sure to be missing something. Heck it may even turn up. Provided its not high dollar stuff missing, I would'nt sweat missing the small stuff.
You have a - what appears to be a solid car. If the floor and trunk pans look good, the rear quarters are the only gamble. Lets say it was a crap install job on rear quarters and you have to replace them.. Well.... thats only $2k additional dollars on what will probably be a $40-$50k car. In the big picture I don't think I would worry about the rear quarters.. You know what the worst scenario is, but what if they were installed decently? Put a check on the good side.
My 69 Superbee had ZERO rust.. I elected to replace 1 rear quarter because it was suggested to me by Mr. Alan who recognized rear collision damage at some point and who I value his opinion very much when it comes to this stuff. It wasn't a horrible install job and they probably couldv'e been worked a little, to look good, but the level I want my SB, I elected to replace,.

Now - Some questions... Is there an asking price? If so,, What?
I think I'd start with a fat wad of 100's on my next visit with $8k in one pocket.. and an addtional $2k in the other pocket.... and a blank check, just incase he wants $500-1000 more.
Matching numbers, solid car? You have the time mate....I'd love to help you extract and or even look at it with you...

GO FOR IT!!!!!

Don't wait too long.... it might slip away... 1 owner matching numbers... WOW~!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Definately put on a rotiserrie... LOl.. I know where theres a real nice new Auto Twirler with ball bearings for $1000 - LOL

who knows whats there and what isn't. I would not be scared of a project like that as long as I had the cash to dump into it after getting it home and taking inventory. its just a car, in other words , there is nothing there that cant be sourced. hell , you can almost buy a cuda in a box these days. having the original drivetrain is the bonus. if you find yourself in too deep, im sure you could get most of your money back. I agree with 6500 - 8000 range. one thing is for sure , if you REALLY want it , and have to have it , you better jump on it , or the next guy will

Thanks for the inspiration!!

Good luck chicken. You've been through it with the RR and if you want an E body this sounds like a very good find (4 speed!). I'm sure you have a very good idea of what it will cost to bring it to the level you want, know what they are worth in the condition you will bring it up to, and have a pretty good idea of what's available / what folks are asking.

My two cents to everyone else's excellent advice .. you can't buy/repair/replace "numbers matching, build sheet included, 1 owner, 4 speed Big Block 70 Cuda" if it doesn't come with it ... as far as that stuff goes it is what it is and always will be. Everything else can be fixed or replaced.

- - - Updated - - -

oh yeah BLUE ON BLUE presume B5 nice find!

Said it before but man I don't know why more people (who are changing color and want a high impact type color) don't go with that. It looks awesome on B Bodies. Used to be a 70 Superbee running around when I was a youngster that was beautiful.

Non-functional dual snorkel hood / black vynil top and was HOT!

Nice find, Mitch. You have some very good luck, my friend. Like others said, verify the documentation, and take an inventory of everything before you put an offer on the table. The guy I bought my 68 JJ1 project bird from said he had everything but the brake lines. Fact was, after sitting apart for many, many years, lots of parts walked. Luckily all the stamped numbers matching stuff remained. x2 on the shabby primer job. No telling what is underneath. Mine had hail damage under the primer. I assume you would give it the quality of love as you did the chicken. Its not every day one comes across a 70 E-body big block 4 speed. I'd say its in the $7500-$10k range.

Nothing on this car is cheap to restore. Puzzles are tuff when you where not around to take apart. Your going to need a good deal of space to lay everything out and organize all parts. I personally would go for it. If my Coronet was done id be their and pick up the car myself. I would pay 5500.00! Economy is tuff and it is not a 440 or Hemi car so it still is a lower cost body.

I'd guess $6-$8K would be a good price. Go over it with a magnet to make sure there are no hiddeen surprises, crawl under and check out the usual spots for bad surprises. And is it a Dana or 8 3/4? But a one owner big block 4 spd. E body, I'd go for it. They're probably the easiest to put back together.

Posted this over on FEBO for Detmatt

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?50291-Parting-Out-68-Satellite

- - - Updated - - -

OOps wrong thread. I think this is it.

Originally Posted by DetMatt1
Welcome to FEBO from the Motor City! I would love to see you do a Cuda, your RR is amazing!
Value on that Cuda is a tuff call but I'll play, I'd say between 12 and 15K.
Thanks Matt. Saw the car again on Sunday. He says he wants 16k for it. I don't know. I'm having a hard time justifying that in my own mind. I was thinking no more than 9K. I'm sure that this is not a car for just anybody. He's going to have to find the right buyer. The right buyer is going to have to be someone who has done a complete resto on one of these , or another Mopar. i.e. me. The average person doesn't know what its worth finished.He says the entire car is there, including a perfect grille and the fish scales? for the rocker?. I'm inclined to have him gather the car all together in one pile and do a comprehensive inventory before I offer him a dime. Also, this is not a computer savvy guy. He's not been around on the internet. Depends upon others for his info. I think that's a plus. I'm going to drive the 68 Road Runner over there when the weather clears up , to show him what I'm capable of, and make him an offer.Then let it simmer for a while. On the other hand, I really had no intentions of spending this kind of money on my next project. In fact ..... if I'm going to spend a lot of $$, I also know where an original 64 Belvedere 426 wedge 4spd is nearby in a barn!!!!. Why not do the same with him. Show him what I can do and make an offer on that Car. That one , I would pay 16k for!!! Decisions.... Decisions

$(KGrHqF,!iME8Lp(bj!fBPsuIJpstw~~60_3[1].jpgif it's still around in a few I might try for it myself ,cleaning in one of my pole barns to make room for new projects ,getting rid of a lot of things that I don't really need any more ,but that would a very nice one to get and start on .................better than these theres a lot of this **** out there .$(KGrHqN,!isE+2G8c0epBQDZdHkReg~~60_3[1].jpg

I'm with Iraqivet01 but for an additional reason. The bloom is definitely off the rose when it comes to E bodies. I've seen some guys who are selling project cars around Florida who understand that and have moderated their prices accordingly, but there are still a lot of leprechauns out there who still think they're sitting on a pot-o-gold. If this guy has held on to this car for 20 years, and is now selling because of the economy, which usually translates into "needs money", then he's apt to be holding out for 2000 prices in the 2013 market, and if that's the case you're going to be spending a lot of time negotiating and hearing about what a low-baller you are. What this guy needs is an ill-informed idiot who thinks he can buy this car, fix it up, and sell it for $100K+ and is willing to pay top dollar for it.

Auto Transport Service
Back