• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uhaul Rates

BrianS

Local time
7:13 PM
Reaction score
I know this topic has been discussed to death in different threads but I still can't get over the difference in pricing. I have a couple of motorcycle runs leaving out of Caldwell, Id this summer and I would typically ride up from California and make the run but was thinking I might rent a trailer this summer and trailer the bike up and then I could leave my truck for my son to use while I was gone since he has some hauling to do.

Top price is Calif to Caldwell and the second price is Caldwell to Calif. Damn it might be cheaper to buy a motorcycle trailer rather than rent one or just ride and tell him to rent a freaking truck.

Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 4.30.31 PM.png

Last edited:
I was offered a free trailer today, just gotta take it to the dump & unload it.... I passed... If you want it I might still be able to make it happen... Though to be honest it's kinda far to drive for a free trailer... That I haven't even looked at to know if it'll suit your needs....

I reserved a uhaul auto transport trailer last year 1 week ahead of time. Confirmed it twice during the week before my trip because i needed to pick it up 400 miles away from me and transport a 66 Coronet back home. Called the day before just to make sure and they said "Sorry you're reservation has been cancelled". They didn't give a **** either and didn't give me a good reason why it was cancelled. They also didn't calll or email me about the cancallation. They just said it happens. They said had one about 150 miles away which would have added another 300 miles to my trip. Told them to **** off and die. Luckily another place had one tow dolly left but that mean't i had to do a roadside rear wheel seal change. The guy i picked up the car didn't want me changing it on his property because he was worried i'd sue him if something happened. Found a wide spot beside the road, changed the seal, and towed it home. Moral of the story is don't trust the bastards at uhaul.

This was in Oregon and i'm pretty sure there was an exodus leaving the liberal shithole of Portland. Looks like the same thing in California.

Last edited:
One way is always very expensive.

Yep, I rented a uhaul car trailer a few weeks back . One way from Bakersfield to Tucson AZ was almost $500 for pick up there Friday afternoon , drop it off here Saturday afternoon

I picked it up in Tucson Thursday nite and just hauled it up empty , dropped it off Saturday at same place I got it. $130 even

Yep, I rented a uhaul car trailer a few weeks back . One way from Bakersfield to Tucson AZ was almost $500 for pick up there Friday afternoon , drop it off here Saturday afternoon

I picked it up in Tucson Thursday nite and just hauled it up empty , dropped it off Saturday at same place I got it. $130 even
Exactly. Some places are more expensive due to the fact more are leaving than returning. When a certain point has more leaving with no returning they have to dead head inventory to those points. I found it to be cheaper to buy a trailer and sell it when done.

Exactly. Some places are more expensive due to the fact more are leaving than returning. When a certain point has more leaving with no returning they have to dead head inventory to those points. I found it to be cheaper to buy a trailer and sell it when done.
That is true. I figure they should be paying me to bring one back down here on my return trip or at least for free

:rofl:

You should be able to find a decent general purpose trailer for $500 or maybe a few dollars more.

With pricing like that it will pay for it's self the second time you use it.

...but yearly registration will eat into that if you don't use it regularly.

Enjoy the ride on your bike and have your son rent a truck or pay his rental fee as a gift. Just get the insurance and rent it in his name. The home improvement stores have truck too. Safe travels!

I used to carry my 2 wheeled vehicles in the bed of my truck.

...but even loading up in a factory drop spindle Dakota-

It's "no contest" MUCH easier to load into my 5x8.5' trailer.

Same with the riding mower.

I went through a nightmare last fall with them when I moved! I had to drive over 150 miles just to pick up the truck, then another 20 to get the car hauler. This was 2 days after I was supposed to pick them up! That was because the people from the [so called] great state of CA. were coming to NV. to get trucks & haulers. I told them that they need to bend over as I'll be over the milage limit, late drop-off because of their failure to have them on time, etc; etc. They gave me 4 extra days with NO milage limit. I did do a reverse route quote and it was over $3000 less than what I paid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are you pricing it "one way", aren't you trailering home after the run? Just rent it for the period you need it - they don't need to know where you're going with it.

At that price I'd buy a new trailer from Home Depot and, if I wasn't going to use it again, sell it afterwards. At a couple hundred buscks loss you're still ahead of the game.

I just did a cursory CL lookup of 5x8 trailers local to me.

Only found a couple under $700, but didn't look for any other sizes.

I like a 5x8 because it basically doubles your truck capacity being almost the same size as the bed, plus it tracks the same as the towing vehicle (not wider)...and they're pretty easy to pull and can be man-handled if necessary.

You could probably buy for $700, then list for $850 and take $750 when you're done.

You should be able to find a decent general purpose trailer for $500 or maybe a few dollars more.

With pricing like that it will pay for it's self the second time you use it.

...but yearly registration will eat into that if you don't use it regularly.

California trailer registration is a one time fee...

Auto Transport Service
Back