• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uncle Tony - suspension

You should see his follow up video...He talks about drilling holes in the front shocks to let the oil out....
Huh ??

Tony has a belief that drag race Mopars don't need front shocks BUT since the tech rules mandate them to be in place......he suggests to either install totally fragged out shocks or drill a hole in good ones to let the oil drain out.
Yeah...I'm going to get RIGHT on that, sir....

Tony has a belief that drag race Mopars don't need front shocks BUT since the tech rules mandate them to be in place......he suggests to either install totally fragged out shocks or drill a hole in good ones to let the oil drain out.
Yeah...I'm going to get RIGHT on that, sir....
While I can't say I remember hearing about drilling a hole in the shock, I do remember racers saying to use worn out shocks on the front to allow it to rise and allow better power transfer to the rear wheels. I do know that Koni Drag Shocks did the same, but the worn ones were more economical for the cash strapped racer. If I ever did hear about drilling the shocks, I wouldn't ever suggest it.

Ive heard of it and ran a car with the front shocks removed. I got mixed results....my rear tires were pretty beat so traction was marginal anyway. but it did lift the front a little better. it did not bounce like you might expect...Tony is old school hot rod before you could buy custom drag shocks and all the specialized equipment that is available today. like when super stock was stock

Yep, 60's tech for sure. Back in the 60's-70's lots of back yard mechanics with zero dollars to spend. I was one of them.
I have gone round and round with the younger generation on how we did things back then.Like dialing in your air fuel ratio by painting your header extensions,looking for the burn ring and cutting them at the ring for a stick car and 1'' longer for a automatic car. I get HUH? just use a air/fuel gauge with a o2 sensor in the pipe.Things have changed in the last 50 years.

I used to run unequal air pressure in the shocks on my first 66 Coronet.

On a "normally" crowned road it acted almost like a limited slip.

Definitely helped.

That and stretching the springs in the distributor so the full advance came in sooner.

...and drilling the passage in the trans valve body.

All the zero dollar tricks I could try back at age 16 with a minimum wage income.

IMG_0038.JPG
Anyone tried running air shocks, with more air in the right ?
Yes, on my '79 Malibu Wagon drag car...air bags instead of shocks. 17 lbs. left rear 30 lbs. right rear. 1.48 60 ft.

Uncle "Tony"......what a goober....who decided that this person has any creedance to have elevated him to this level of notoriety ? Remember the Uncle Tony and "Shoes" video about an abandoned MaxWedge car....but everyone has the opportunity to express their own opinions....
BOB RENTON

Just like a train wreck, you don't want to,,but you have to look !

I'm not ready to bash the guy. I like his presentation and his basic smarts. The front shock theory sounds strange and for me, I'd never try it because I like to make turns and drive on the street. A drag racer may benefit from it.
I like his videos and his attitude. The only video that I can recall completely disagreeing with was the one where he ranted against frame connectors. He had an opinion that the car needed the flex because without it, the spotwelds elsewhere in the car could fail. It reminded me of the dudes at car shows and these forums that swear that your engine needs backpressure to run right.

I think the guy means well and believes what he says. He is definitely old school and as stated really needs to spend some quality time on his exhaust (you can see the pipe bouncing around underneath the car). Personally, I think if you spend more time to set the car up properly you probably don't necessarily need his tips, but as also noted, there is science behind loading the pass side tire and old Tony is providing a low/no much method.

I agree 70chall440, I enjoy watching the videos, some I agree with,some I don't.As far as low buck, old school this guy has it down pat.

I don't quibble with his airshock idea, I think it's a good one. Lots of guys with adjustable shocks are stiffer on the right side. In my opinion, the drilled out front shocks was a stupid idea 40 years ago when I first heard it. Step one in how to make sure your car doesn't go straight.

And his car sounds like a seven cylinder motor boat with the exhaust exiting under water, burble burble belch.

Regarding the shock absorber issue...years ago, when Buttons was a pup, the drag racers used 90/10 up lock shocks in the front and 20/80 down lock shocks in the rear. The 90/10 action allowed the ftont end to come up quickly for weight transfer and conversly the 20/80 down lock shocks on the rear kept the transfered weight down for traction, in addition to ladder bars. The idea of drilling the front shocks to eliminate that function is just plain stupid. How is the engine's torque reaction controlled at the instant of clutch application? As the front end geometry changes as the front suspension reacts, steer-ability is compromised, making the car unsafe. All in the interest of saving $$$$$....if you cannot afford to race correctly and safely, the best thing to do would be to become a spectator.
Torque reaction apposes rotation and this principle applies to the rest of the the drive train as well, as this was the reason Mopar used 5 ÷ 2 forward facing half leaves on the right side spring assembly (to reduce/eliminate spring windup ) and 6 full leaves on the left side spring assembly. Also, consider the reason Mopar put the engine centerline approximately 1 1/2"" to the right side (passenger side).....to counteract the rotational torque reaction at maximum loading. BUT...perhaps good 'ole "Uncle Tony" has some "words of wisdom" (?) or maybe an in depth explanation or other plausible reason. Just thinking out loud....
BOB RENTON

Uncle "Tony"......what a goober....who decided that this person has any creedance to have elevated him to this level of notoriety ? Remember the Uncle Tony and "Shoes" video about an abandoned MaxWedge car....but everyone has the opportunity to express their own opinions....
BOB RENTON
He is goofy and that is just him. Take it or leave it, it’s better than acting like a scientist stating things in a matter of fact dry manor. If it isn’t interesting, entertainment or entertaining, then your you tube channel will probably fail.

Tony has done more than a few things over his automotive adventures. I’m not busting your balls when I say, I don’t remember the RJRenton name on the streets racing nor the track or writing for magazines or stating and talking about there top fuel experience. Did you mention here that you were an automotive mechanic or how long you were one?
Just wondering......

Anyway, the comment of “who decided that this person has any creedance to have elevated him to this level of notoriety ?“

You tubers! Anybody that knows something of which he speaks on and knows he is right or wrong but appreciate someone actually putting themselves out there. My hats off to him for putting himself out there. It’s better than being some goober internet guru crap talking moron convinced there always right, others are dumb, and ranks on others without actually knowing them and passing judgement on those they only via a you tube channel or what they read in the forums, forming a judgment based in just car talk.

Just sayin....

OH, the drill the hole in the shock trick is an old one I have seen done many times, for the strip only! And since you know you did this, you drive accordingly. Not what I would do myself. And certainly not on the street.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back