• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Under-dash vent cable - repair? Replace?

Triplegreen500

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:39 AM
Reaction score
So, while working on my dash lights and horn relay I discovered a piece of plastic (broken) bolted to the underside of my dash. Once I got the cluster out, I looked down into the dash...and found the rest of it. It's the plastic piece that's supposed to hold the push-pull cable for the vent.

Has anyone ever successfully repaired these? Or is a replacement readily available (and install-able without too-major surgery)? I think I may try some fiberglass mat, and some good ol' JB Weld, to see if I can't get it together enough to be able to use it again...

Do you have a picture of what you need, I might have it

No photo yet - it's the square black-handled "VENT" pull cable on the driver side (of a factory a/c car), and the plastic it mounts to the dash with is a gray plastic sleeve/bracket, kinda triangle shaped with a single screw hole in it. I'll try and post one tonight.

Is it this one?

20190204_094132.jpg

Looks pretty close to me...I'll get a shot tonight when I get home to be safe.

Great, if you need more pics, let me know

Looks close to mine. Maybe I'm missing another piece? Heres mine with the broken piece off:

1228201825.jpg

...and with it kinda-attached.

1228201824.jpg

I appear to be missing another piece on the left, I think...

Maybe I'll fab something to get two bolt-wings back...or just use a metal strap. Not like it's in plain view or anything. The cable itself works fine...it just isn't bolted to the dashboard anymore.

Is the missing still screwed under dash? If so remove it JB weld works.

The one piece I placed on it for the photo, was the only piece still screwed to the dash. I'll probably JB it back on - with some fiberglass mat to help wrap and hold it in place - and then use a metal strap (think pipe strap) across the cable, attached with the 2 screw holes.

Cheaper and easier than fixing the a/c! Although that, eventually, is on the list...

The one piece I placed on it for the photo, was the only piece still screwed to the dash. I'll probably JB it back on - with some fiberglass mat to help wrap and hold it in place - and then use a metal strap (think pipe strap) across the cable, attached with the 2 screw holes.

Cheaper and easier than fixing the a/c! Although that, eventually, is on the list...
This might work, length maybe ask? Several others available better condition ? not mine. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Mopar...710879?hash=item46bcb5541f:g:TWEAAOSwYX9f2oja

Auto Transport Service
Back