• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Under dash water leak

696pack

Local time
10:25 PM
Reaction score
My 66 Charger has a bad water leak under the dash and I see water drops on the front of the center console. I am assuming it needs wiper post seals but want to know if anyone has found any other water leak area that I may need to address. I recently had a Classic A/C system added to the car and wonder if this may have anything to do with it..

Who sells the wiper post seals?

A bad windshield seal can cause a leak, so can the air pleneum's on the inner cowl if they're rotten and not diverting to the cowl drain. How about Condensation issues with the new Classic Air system? Being your leaking Mid-dash i'd say you're on to something with the wiper pivot seals. The only time i've seen them leak horribly was when they were not even there. Being you're in AZ, take a garden hose let some water run on each (in the cowl vent, wiper pivots and windshield seal). Should help you identify exactly where your issue stems from.

That's an odd place for a windshield leak. They usually start at the corners. Prop may be onto something with the A/C system. Or....What's the possibility of something leaking in a corner and running down the inside of the dash like a rain gutter?

wiper pivot seals would be my first guess....

dripping water or pooling on the center console would be the passenger side seal, and water in or on the fuse block would be drivers side seal

I just use engine valve stem seals on mine

Bryan

We took the glove box liner out yesterday and ran water over the wiper post and could see no leak. Then over the base of the windshield and we found water dripping on the passenger side far right behind where the A/C block off for the fresh air vent. However it did not leak directly down on the center console as it did when it rained. I have chased water leaks before and they are a bitch because water takes the path of least resistance and can run along wires or other things before they begin to drip and can drip along the way traveling to its final destination. I have an idea that the leak is in the windshield.

Did you find the cause? I'm having the same issue and here in Southern Alabama it rains alot!

Also check the screws/holes for the washer hose clamps where they are located on the cowl. My Duster had a leak there.

DMT has wiper seal kits, replacing them is probably a good idea even if they’re not the source of the leak. Leaking windshield gaskets are the most common cause…

Being an Arizona car I assume I wouldn’t figure and rust out around the plenums. I’m dealing with that right now with a 66 Valiant. Narrowed the leak down to the corner of the windshield. I changed out the wiper seals last spring As well as putting in a new windshield boot. I got another lock strip so next week I’m going to Safelitte and have them shoot some buetle rubber in the corners. If that doesn’t work its a new gasket withe buetle rubber added.

Oh, I forgot, best way to check a windshield seal without using water is to take talcum powder and apply where the windshield seals. Then take compressed air along the windshield seal. If you get the talcum powder on the dash or under the dash the windshield is not sealed.

Last edited:
Being an Arizona car I assume I wouldn’t figure and rust out around the plenums. I’m dealing with that right now with a 66 Valiant. Narrowed the leak down to the corner of the windshield. I changed out the wiper seals last spring As well as putting in a new windshield boot. I got another lock strip so next week I’m going to Safelitte and have them shoot some buetle rubber in the corners. If that doesn’t work its a new gasket withe buetle rubber added.

Oh, I forgot, best way to check a windshield seal without using water is to take talcum powder and apply where the windshield seals. Then take compressed air along the windshield seal. If you get the talcum powder on the dash or under the dash the windshield is not sealed.
I recommend shooting in the Butyl too.

Auto Transport Service
Back