• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Under Hood Seals on 69 GTX

1969VAGTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:34 AM
Reaction score
I noticed that under the hood on my GTX, it does not have a front or rear seal on the hood itself. When looking at pics online I see some cars like this and some not. Not sure if the Air Grabber under the hood dictates what the setup should be. Curious what is correct for this car? Any input would be appreciated.
CF4CE841-99F5-4385-8DF9-AB805123840B.jpeg

B86A34B5-B1F4-467E-8123-61679F361CA5.jpeg

Every original one I've had, AG or not, has had both seals.
The front one must be to block off the hood/rad support gap so incoming air gets directed to the radiator.
The rear one seems more of a rub strip at the cowl than an actual seal, but performs that function.
I probably have a decent used spare front seal in my shop attic.

As @topside stated, all of the steel hood B-bodies should have a hood to cowl and a hood to radiator seal. The hood to cowl seals are all the same for the 66 to 70 B-body applications. The hood to radiator seals for the 68 to 70 B-body applications share the same profile. But each year differs slightly for the hood adjuster locations. Have documented some 69 B-bodies having a hood to radiator seal with no provisions cut for the hood adjusters

The seals usually clean up well and can be reused. The hood to cowl seals uses a small clip that usually pulls out when removing them. All of the seals and clips are available as reproductions.

I went ahead and ordered two new seals from Dantes, but I admittedly cannot figure out exactly how these two should be oriented under the hood. Can someone post a pic of how these two seals should be mounted under the hood? I am sure it should be obvious, but I'm not sure the direction they should be facing when mounted. Thanks.

The half circle cut outs in the radiator seal are to clear the hood bumpers. Hard to see these on a black car - matter of fact it wasn‘t until I tried to get a picture that I realized my back one is missing. Something else to buy.
1C162359-3CA9-4248-B94E-7BB3574D695B.jpeg

Last edited:
The half circle cut outs in the radiator seal are to clear the hood bumpers. Hard to see these on a black car - matter of fact it wasn‘t until I tried to get a picture that I realized my back one is missing. Something else to buy.View attachment 1308161
I noticed that one side of that seal as ribbing and one side does not. Should those ribs be visible from the front (or bottom) when mounted or would they not be visible in this pic. Thanks for sharing by the way.

Are you speaking of the front, radiator seal or the back one? i don’t think there is an option on which way the front one mounts but I’ll check for ribs.

I don’t see any ribs on the underside of my radiator seal. There’s really only one way it will go on. Maybe the question is on the cowl seal.

On a 68 to 70 B-Body hood to radiator seal, there is something like seven ribs molded into the back side of the seal. This would be the side next to the hood. The slick side would be the side that would face the radiator core support. No ribs molded into a 66 to 67 B-Body hood to radiator seal.

On a 68 to 70 B-Body hood to radiator seal, there is something like seven ribs molded into the back side of the seal. This would be the side next to the hood. The slick side would be the side that would face the radiator core support. No ribs molded into a 66 to 67 B-Body hood to radiator seal.
Exactly the answer I was looking for. That helps me figure out the orientation of the seal under the hood. Thanks.

Got the hood to radiator seal sorted out. Now need a little insight on how the hood to cowl seal should be oriented. Can only be one of two ways given that the clips are already installed from the factory on the seal and yet I am still not sure which way is right.

I’m curious too as I’ve ordered one too. I sort of assume since the hood travels back and down, that the weatherstrip “V” section is pointing to the rear with the long, free leg forward so it’s edge drags over the cowl and is less likely to catch somewhere on it. But I could well be wrong.

Auto Transport Service
Back