• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal Joint quistion

383MovingViolation

Local time
10:08 AM
Reaction score
Should there be any movement at all in the driveshaft rear universal joint when it's all tightened down ? I can feel movement, ever so slightly when I push up and down on the drive shaft. I took it apart, checked everything, cleaned it all up, lubed it and put it back together. It still has very slight movement. Nothing looked worn. I was detecting a slight vibration that I thought might be coming from the drive line. These are Spicer U-joints. Thanks for any advice.

Do the cups have the "C" clips installed on the inside?
Screenshot_20180716-182645.jpg

Last edited:
There can exist the slightest bit of movement if the rubber cups on the bearing caps are worn. The bearings in the cap are for radial thrust not axial and you need the slightest clearance between the spider shafts and the bottom of the cap. You usually can't feel this play when the caps are loaded with grease. There are actually situations where too much grease can be a bad thing and not allow roller or needle bearings to rotate. I'd disassemble the shaft and take it to a drive shop to check for trueness. They can bend slightly from torquing over time.

Auto Transport Service
Back