• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unusual bolt … any ideas ?

Dakar Timm

Local time
2:26 AM
Reaction score
While cleaning up the garage I ran across this bolt .it’s about 10” in length . I can not for the life of me figure how it could be used . The middle of the bolt has a bigger diameter than the threads on either end
16D9F907-418D-483E-BB32-3A26E222FE62.jpeg

Looks like maybe a front carrier bolt for a jetty or passat..

Wait... did you have a vw in your garage??? :eek:

Let's see the bolt end

Socket head cap screw 8.8 markings signify metric . It is indeed an 8mm bolt . I can’t figure how the threads close to the heads could be used . Sorry no Volkswagens

F02EFD7E-C4F5-4852-BD2A-2834EB70E2A2.jpeg

Looks like some type of adjustment rod. Seems like it has left hand threads on top and right hand on end.

wondering if that's a spare tire hold down bolt, it's long enough!

Torque to Yield head bolt maybe. 4.7 Chry head bolts look similar to this. The top threaded portion is where it stretches to achieve clamp load.

Something to do with a 5.0L out of a newer explorer .
I know I have some of those somewhere

I thought his name was Usuan Bolt? Although his mother did think he was a bit unusual, because he would run away every time she tried to catch him! LOL

what confused me is it looks like 1-1/2" thread length on one end and 3" on the other, that just won't work unless it's used in a clamping application and there's a piece missing from the top threads to use as a hold down!

Auto Transport Service
Back