• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upgrade of ground

David Kosin

Local time
5:22 PM
Reaction score
Most of my electrical problems seem to have a common problem with poor grounding. Has anyone upgraded their regular ground from the battery to engine to body? Especially the block to the firewall. Looks kind of under-guaged to me.

I replaced my Neg, or ground cable from battery to engine block with a new one many years ago. The one I choose had an additional 10 ga. short wire off the battery terminal. I attached that 10 ga. to the car chassis close to battery. I also replaced the ground from rear of the block block to firewall with a #4 stranded wire made with good quality crimped on lugs. Don't forget to clean the areas where the grounds attach.

The battery to block cable size is probably fine. Corrosion and contamination are more likely the problem. The accessory ground is probably a similar issue, except the wire itself sometime fracture with age and flexing. Flat braid is a much better ground than a round cable if your chasing a grounding problem. Do not run more than one or two ground paths, weird things can happen.
Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mil-Spec-3...ap-Tin-Coated-Copper-Braid-5-ft-/273799016208

Oh, hell yeah. Bigger battery cables multiple ground straps from body to block /under the dash to the body, from the voltage reg to the body the ignition box to the body, you name it has an extra ground and larger wire.

Upgrade of ground... Is that like moving from Kansas to Hawaii??? LOL

The battery to block cable size is probably fine. Corrosion and contamination are more likely the problem. The accessory ground is probably a similar issue, except the wire itself sometime fracture with age and flexing. Flat braid is a much better ground than a round cable if your chasing a grounding problem. Do not run more than one or two ground paths, weird things can happen.
Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mil-Spec-3...ap-Tin-Coated-Copper-Braid-5-ft-/273799016208
My first Mopar. Couldn’t believe there was no visible flat braid.

I replaced my ground with a 0 or 1 gauge( can't remember right now) that leads to the engine block and one from the negative terminal to the body of the car.
IMG_20210402_153748.jpg
IMG_20210402_153748.jpg
IMG_20210402_153750.jpg

Last edited:
I always run a #10 from the battery into the cabin and attach to the dash frame and use that as a junction for anything else I add. Like gauges, radio, etc. I run a short jumper from that point to the instrument cluster as well.
Another thing I do is make little jumpers with star washers that go from the bolts holding the electronic control box and voltage regulator to the block. Probably overkill, but surely can't hurt anything.

I always run a #10 from the battery into the cabin and attach to the dash frame and use that as a junction for anything else I add. Like gauges, radio, etc. I run a short jumper from that point to the instrument cluster as well.
Another thing I do is make little jumpers with star washers that go from the bolts holding the electronic control box and voltage regulator to the block. Probably overkill, but surely can't hurt anything.
Not overkill if it works.

What no jokes about a "common" problem with grounds?

I had to upgrade the block to body ground on my Dakota.

Starter quit working.

The factory flat braided cable wasn't doing it's job.

Added a round copper cable from the AC bracket (where the battery to block ground connects).

Interestingly, I had just found that copper cable a few days before. It was the perfect length.

Auto Transport Service
Back