• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upgrading Ignition & Distributor

JackpotJim

Local time
8:22 PM
Reaction score
I want to change out the single point distributor on my 66 383 Coronet. Currently the car is set up with a MSD 6400 series box and stock single point vacuum advance distributor. Looking for a good electronic ignition/distributor that will work well up to 6000+- rpm. Car is used mostly on street. Thanks for all the past help with my car. I learn a lot here about these old Mopars.
47117545_2135469613132403_3445911300201250816_n.jpg

The stock electronic ones with the correct curve work fine.
Doug

Mancini or Summit. For the street, they’re great.

I have a new in box Mallory Unilte. My pro flow 4 has a dist., so no longer need this. $140 including shipping if interested.
Tim

Any thoughts on the Pertronix Ignitor 3 ignition kit for stock Mopar distributor or the Pertronix made distributor and Ignitor 3?

I am using the pertronix 2 and their coil , its been on my car for years , just transplanted it to my 440 dizzy from the 383 one this summer, never had any problems, I have changed the rotor and cap a couple times.

Any thoughts on the Pertronix Ignitor 3 ignition kit for stock Mopar distributor or the Pertronix made distributor and Ignitor 3?
I installed the Pertronix billet aluminum distributor in my wife's 421 Tripower and it has the Ignitor III Module built in, it's GREAT. If the requirements for my next build are non-specific in the distributor dept, I will get one for my Mopar.

I used the (at the time still Mopar made) electronic conversion kit...the distributor has since crapped out and was replaced with a Firecore unit. The orange ECU worked fine but I replaced it with a (Mopar USA made) chrome ECU which is still going strong....unfortunately these are no longer made but there are apparently decent alternatives. Point being you don't have to get fancy unless you're gonna be doing lots of racing, the stock chrysler electronic ignition is more than capable..

you don't have to get fancy unless you're gonna be doing lots of racing, the stock chrysler electronic ignition is more than capable..
The rev limiter in my FBO ignition system was a game changer. Once I installed it, foot on the floor and I keep it there the length of the 1320. Power shifting w/the clutch, but staying WOT, especially with the 6bbl, has cut maybe 1/2 a second off my time.
The Pertronix Ignitor III Module in the billet aluminum distributor in my wife's 421 GTO means I don't have to worry about her over revving the engine .

I had problems with the Mopar Performance distributors on my 383. 3 year ago did the conversion from points to the Mopar electronic with the kit pictured in a previous post. All well for a year or so then car developed strange timing problem and became quite un reliable. Of course the kit/distributor was out of warranty.. Problem was the internal mechanical advance and vacuum advance sticking messing up timing. Called Mancini Racing to get a replacement, dist. The dist was out of stock and on back order, so I purchased the full conversion kit for slightly more. Installed the distributor in the kit and and the vacuum advance can was leaking and would not hold a vacuum. Got RA they sent another distributor. That one had yet a different issue with the vacuum advance can. This time the two halves of the can weren't crimped together properly and would not hold vacuum. Noticed that all the Mopar Performance distributors are made in Tiwan... Finally returned everything for refund and bought the american made Firecore distributor. Significant difference in quality in every way. Works with stock Mopar Orange Box. Dropped it in, set timing and has worked perfectly ever since. Also has adjustable mechanical timing if needed. I'd recommend the Firecore distributor.

I have the Pertronix III ignition module and Flamethrower coil in my 69 GTX. It runs pretty good. Ballast is bypassed. Rev limiter is easy to set. Easy to install on a single point distributor body.

I have the Pertronix III ignition module and Flamethrower coil in my 69 GTX. It runs pretty good. Ballast is bypassed. Rev limiter is easy to set. Easy to install on a single point distributor body.

I have the Pertronix III and a M&H Mopar reproduction coil on my 318. I left the resistor in for better reliability on the coil and ignitor (lower currents). There was no notable difference in performance with or without the resistor.

Auto Transport Service
Back