• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upper ball joint recommendation

diesel_lv

Local time
1:02 AM
Reaction score
1967 Coronet. I bought ACDelco Professional upper ball joints from Rock Auto in Jan. Installed them per manual. Car is still on jackstands. I looked at them this past weekend and I am getting close to installing the rebuilt power steering box and saw that both sides dust boots are split completely open. They are still warrantied but I am afraid to get replacements if they are going to just split again. This is not a track car, just a daily driver. Does anyone have a brand recommendation for upper ball joints for a daily driver or are the ACDelco ones just fine just get new ones under warranty. Thanks in advance.

themechanic, thank you for the recommendations. I like Spicer parts, not a fan of Moog anymore quality seems to have gone down. Any opinions on why both ball joint dust boots would have split just sitting on the car, never having been on the ground yet?

themechanic, thank you for the recommendations. I like Spicer parts, not a fan of Moog anymore quality seems to have gone down. Any opinions on why both ball joint dust boots would have split just sitting on the car, never having been on the ground yet?
No idea. They may be dry rotted.

They have metal ring at base, were seated completely and don't feel dryrotted. Hmmmm.

Can you post a picture showing the tear?

1967 Coronet. I bought ACDelco Professional upper ball joints from Rock Auto in Jan. Installed them per manual. Car is still on jackstands. I looked at them this past weekend and I am getting close to installing the rebuilt power steering box and saw that both sides dust boots are split completely open. They are still warrantied but I am afraid to get replacements if they are going to just split again. This is not a track car, just a daily driver. Does anyone have a brand recommendation for upper ball joints for a daily driver or are the ACDelco ones just fine just get new ones under warranty. Thanks in advance.
ACDelco is fine, or Dellphi ( same as ACDelco) I just bought Mevotech and r well made from rockauto for my 1973 plymouth. Just get it done and get a wheel alignment after install. Cheers!

I’ve done three sets of upper ball joints in the last few years. I used Moog and had no problems.

Ok, now I'm lost. I am not computer savvy. How do I post a pic. Do I have to upload to someplace then download? I'm using my phone and it won't let me get it from the gallery.

When you touch the orange 'upload photos' tab below, it doesn't automatically open up your gallery?

Well I'm a dummy!! I was trying to use the tab above that looks like a pic. My keyboard automatically comes up and covered the orange tab. Thank you hunt2elk.

Here's a pic. Both sides did exact same thing.
86310.jpeg

Are those factory spindles? Looks like the spindle is in contact with the ball joint and tore it.

69L48Z27, no, they are aftermarket for disc brakes. That is what it looks like to me also. I may have to get ahold of company I got disc brake kit from. Unfortunately I have no reference if the spindles are correct or not.

Ok, doing some thinking during the night. The disc brake conversion is a DrDiff 11.75" stage 2. I'm thinking that because the suspension has been hanging for over a year, on jackstands, that the droop caused the dust boot to get pinched. That if it were on the ground, it would not be pinched. Anyone have any other ideas?

Here's a pic of the suspension jacked up to normal ride height. "Looks" like it would not pinch.
86391.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back