• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upper Bezel Removal

71newp

Local time
8:08 AM
Reaction score
Hello to All,
I am trying to remove the upper bezel on my 1976 Cordoba, so I can get at the headlight switch. I have a FSM, it does not have detailed instruction. Basically, the FSM sez to remove the screws and pull it off. The screws are out, but I can't get it past the steering column?? What is the trick???
Thanks, Tim

This isn't fun, I've done this many, many times. On mine I wiggle my hand under and behind the dash. Find the side of the headlight switch with the release button and depress and hold. Remove the headlight knob and shaft by pulling straight out. If your headlights come on when the the knob is removed, disconnect the battery. If you have the 2 speed wiper switch move it to the hi or fast position. If you have 2 speed wipers w/delay move it to the hi or fast position and pull the little chrome knob off. It's a tight friction fit. Don't lose the tiny spring steel tab that goes inside the knob. If column shifted moving the shifter into D1 gives you more room. Make sure you move the ignition key only enough to unlock the shifter. If you go too far onto the "run" position your wipers will start up unless you've already disconnected the battery. You have to tip the top of the bezel towards you and down somewhat. Now either try to pull it straight back towards you or to the left or right of the steering column. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. As it turns out I needed to drop the steering column a little bit. Dropping the column was easy, just a few turns on the nut that holds it in place on the long bolt. A ratcheting box end wrench was a real time saver!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back