• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upper bump stop

revmaster

Local time
12:35 PM
Reaction score
Hi. I was changing my broken bump stops on a 69 gtx. There is a height difference was noticeable on the control arm. I installed the driver side bump stop but no room for the passenger side. Car is 28 inches high on the drivers side and 29 inches high on the passenger side . Driver side I had 2 1/4 inches clearance and only 1 3/4 inches clearance on passenger side yet car is a bit higher on that side.

Set your ride height with the torsion bar adjustments. With no one in the car,
the driver's side should be higher.

I would inspect your lower control arm bushing first prior to adjusting to make sure the bushings are not worn out. That can cause ride heights to be different from left to right in the front.

Years ago I built some 15x8 wheels for 275-60's. Got the offset where it was needed before welding for the driver's side and decided to check it on the passenger side....and it was a no go. Had to adjust the offset on the other wheel to fit. The car had never been wrecked either. The difference was about an inch.

On a surface that's known flat, start checking the frame heights to the ground to make sure they are the same and go from there. If you want to make sure it's square, you can plumb bob from key points on the frame rails to the ground and mark the where the plumb bob touches the floor then move the car and do X measurements.

I would inspect your lower control arm bushing first prior to adjusting to make sure the bushings are not worn out. That can cause ride heights to be different from left to right in the front.

Ok thanks. I'll check see if there is wear or difference. I bought a new kit a few years ago didn't put any in. The car was driving straight .

Years ago I built some 15x8 wheels for 275-60's. Got the offset where it was needed before welding for the driver's side and decided to check it on the passenger side....and it was a no go. Had to adjust the offset on the other wheel to fit. The car had never been wrecked either. The difference was about an inch.

On a surface that's known flat, start checking the frame heights to the ground to make sure they are the same and go from there. If you want to make sure it's square, you can plumb bob from key points on the frame rails to the ground and mark the where the plumb bob touches the floor then move the car and do X measurements.
Ok thanks. . I'll measure from the bottom and see. . Go from point to point and check . I had an alignment years ago and wasn't in an accident since.

Auto Transport Service
Back