• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upper control arm bushing r&r easy way!

Bb70charger500

Local time
3:10 AM
Reaction score
Ok guys this is mostly for the young guys or the new guys to the Mopar world .
I've spent many an hour beating bushings in and out !
So here's the easy poor man way . You don't need these exact tools a piece of metal pipe will work or something in scrap pile?
So I took pictures
Basically sockets gos over the out side edge over the fat side!
Run your bolt threw socket and nut it under bushing then just impact it out remember the bushings will start to rise in socket area so you will need to give enough room for them to move in or you'll bottom out.
I added a big wench under socket to make up room !

Easy right guess what just reverse process put socket on other side and in they go !
I have out picture s I'll get in picture s when I get control arms clean and painted

Hopefully this helps someone!
KIMG1529.JPG
KIMG1530.JPG
KIMG1531.JPG
KIMG1532.JPG
KIMG1533.JPG
KIMG1534.JPG
KIMG1535.JPG

Thanks for the primer. A lot of what we gain seems to go to the grave when we do. We should document our knowledge for posterity, for the good of Mopar kind.
Mike

Great idea, but I just burn em out, leave the outer shells in place and buy a bushing and sleeve insert kit from prothane. I do the same with the lowers too. Just reuse the tapered pin.

Great idea, but I just burn em out, leave the outer shells in place and buy a bushing and sleeve insert kit from prothane. I do the same with the lowers too. Just reuse the tapered pin.

This does work .

But I came across a younger guy build a charger he was going all org with his build and he distorted the control arm from trying to beat them out ! He came to me looking for a replacement upper control arm witch I had.
He then asked if I had any with the bushings already replaced or in ok shape . He then explained what he did to his . So I told him to get the bushings and we would install them and he could learn something . He refused to bring the car to a shop he wanted to do it all himself . So I showed him once and he handle the others .
He couldn't believe how easy it was . That's why I posted this because to some of us that's been around this is like 1st grade repairs but to others this is a huge task that might turn them off of cars all together .

I'll also get to the pivot shaft bushing replacement too . I was debating on doing it without a press so others without said tooling could follow but unsure if my back will allow me to skip the press .

I believe the factory tool is very similar to the bolt and socket setup.

Just harder to find a a lot more expensive!

I like to spray a bit of penetrating oil on first.

Once you break them free the oil lets them keep sliding fast without as much torque required per turn.

...but now I have a press.

...and a thread about doing this on 73 and up cars with the dog bone through the bushings.

That was quite a challenge and there is no info at all in the FSM other than "replace as an assembly"- good luck with that in 2019!

I can't remember what I did for the dog bone style I think a tourch was involved!

Auto Transport Service
Back