• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upper door pads...

myk r sanchez

Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

For the life of me I can't get the upper door pads to stay in place. It doesn't help that everyone pulls on the upper door pad instead of the armrest to shut the doors, but you would think the pads could take that sort of usage. I'll mount the clips into the upper pads, finagle it back into the door and within a few openings and closings the pads fall off, clips and all. Is there a technique to this install? Thanks in advance..

it would help to know what we are working on

Well since he has a 2nd gen Charger & 2nd gen Chargers have upper door pads I'm gonna go out on a limb & guess he's working on.... You guessed it, a 2nd gen Charger...:lol:

Yes, 2nd Gen Charger with constantly ejecting door panels. Are the clips supposed to be locked into the panel itself? They're pretty loose. Should they be fastened in place somehow?

It has been awhile since I had mine off but I thought they were spreader type wire spring clips. Maybe you could pull the pads, spread the clips apart some and see if it helps.

It has been awhile since I had mine off but I thought they were spreader type wire spring clips. Maybe you could pull the pads, spread the clips apart some and see if it helps.

I agree... I think the top edge of the pad actually overhangs the top of the door... I could be wrong about that it's been many years since I've owned a Charger... But those pads typically are very secure & you have to work to get them off....

Ok that sounds like a great idea: spreading the clips so they stick into the door better, but what about the clips going into the panels themselves? Are they supposed to be tight into the panel as well? They're completely loose and maybe that's where the problem is. Also, which way do they go into the holes?

lahTNVq.jpg

Ok that sounds like a great idea: spreading the clips so they stick into the door better, but what about the clips going into the panels themselves? Are they supposed to be tight into the panel as well? They're completely loose and maybe that's where the problem is. Also, which way do they go into the holes?

lahTNVq.jpg

The first clip to the right goes to the rear, you can see the flat depressed area.. The second location to the top left will go down again toward the flat depressed area...

New clips are available & pretty cheap....

Alright thank you for the links. So my understanding is that all of the clips rest in the depressed area of the door pad. I will order some clips and give this another shot. What I'm going to try is flattening the clip part that goes into the door pad to make it fit tight. Then, I'll do what Greg suggested and widen the part of the clips that go into the door itself. Now...where the hell did I put those door medallions. Damn it..

It looks like you might have the clips for the lower door panel. The upper pad clips have a much smaller opening where they slide into the metal pad frame. Be careful trying to bend the clips. They break easy.

Last edited:
It looks like you might have the clips for the lower door panel. The upper pad clips have a much smaller opening where they slide into the metal pad frame. Be careful trying to trying to bend the clips. They break easy.

Uh oh. I'll have to look at the clips that I ordered; I didn't know there were different ones used. Thanks for the heads up...

Auto Transport Service
Back